I'm having all kinds of trouble making a DVD - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 25th, 2010, 11:06 AM   #31
Regular Crew

It's not actually the time of 10 minutes, it's how much of it has been played. I can pause/unpause during that time, and the problem starts at the same point at the DVD. I can pause and single-step through the DVD to see the interlacing clearly. This leads me to believe it's a software bug type thing.
John Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 08:44 AM   #32
Inner Circle

So....

As we have asked before, is it at a specific point in the video (example: 10 minutes, 22 seconds and 12 frames in the program)?

Is there visual motion happening at this point in the program that hasn't occurred before in the program?

Apple DVD player doesn't deinterlace so when it plays interlaced footage on a progressive computer monitor, things can look ugly.
Old November 26th, 2010, 11:22 AM   #33
Regular Crew

It is a specific point. If I just play the video, it happens at about 8:20. However, if I jump to, say, 7:30 (using the slider at the bottom in DVD Player) it doesn't occur, only if I've played the whole video to that point. If I've jumped ahead, it doesn't occur until another 5-10 minutes of playing later.

There isn't really any difference in the motion, it's a talking-head type of video, and the problem is very easy to spot, so I'm not just missing it because of lack of motion.

It's all progressive. I have de-interlacing turned off.

If I single-frame through it, I can see that it's displaying one field from one frame, and the other field from the *next* frame, I can see on the edges of a moving object that the even fields in one frame line up with the odd fields in the next.

The Apple DVD Player seems to be mixing fields from different frames together.
Old November 26th, 2010, 12:25 PM   #34
Inner Circle

Yes, it is. What is happening is that each progressive 60p frame is being treated as a field in 60i. This is an issue that has come up in these forums before and if you do a search you might find a good solution. I have never dealt with this issue in 60p, so I don't have first hand experience and am reluctant to give you theoretical solutions.

For whatever reason the Apple DVD player accentuates the interlacing issues. What does it do with de-interlacing on? Have you tried VLC? It's free and one of the best media players around.
Old November 26th, 2010, 04:44 PM   #35
Regular Crew

I can set compressor to treat each 60p frame as a field in 60i, and it looks good on an old TV, but not on a computer. However, I don't have it set that way, and that's not what it's doing.

The problem occurs exactly the same way whether deinterlacing is turned on or off in the player.

As I mentioned before, if I play the .VOB files directly off the DVD (with the VLC player, like you suggest), it plays flawlessly. It looks better than it does in the DVD player even when the player is not acting up. This is why I'm almost positive that it's an issue with the Apple DVD player.

The player isn't just accentuating an existing interlacing issue, it's incorrectly displaying fields together, from different frames, that shouldn't be displayed together.

In addition, the player seems to be incorrectly detecting reverse 3:2 pulldown and displays small portions of the video incorrectly because of this. However, it's not very noticeable, it's really only visible when single-stepping through the video. The bigger problem is the mixing of fields from different frames, which now that I think about it, may be caused when it switches back from this mode.

If you don't believe me, play a video until you see the "interlacing issues" and then single-step through the frames, and you'll see that moving objects align from one field in a displayed frame to the other field in the next.
Old November 29th, 2010, 07:47 PM   #36
Regular Crew

I just had what sounds like the same issue with a DVD i was working on, but on PC, not Mac

The fix for me was to use a different encoder.
Yossi Margolin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite