Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 26th, 2010, 06:36 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Problem updating FCP on Apple website

Hi.
I am currently in India on a editing session for one of my docs.
I have just bought a new Mac Book Pro with Apple Care.
I installed Final Cut Pro 6.0 on this machine. All hunky dory so far.
Now, the problem is that some of my files are XDCAM EX MPEG-2 files.
Quicktime 7/OSX show these as blank with audio only (video file).. I know that the files were ok, because I had checked them on my iMac before.
All the other files are PRORES 422 HQ which play ok.

I am unable to connect my Mac to an internet connection at present......
Next Step: I thought it was the MPEG-2 component for Quicktime which was missing... I bought and installed it, .......no change.. still the same.
Tried entering my Apple id and updating the software to Final cut 6.0.2 or higher., entered my serial number... it says that it is invalid (legit copy of FCP 6, Final cut studio 2) (tried many times... same problem)
Unable to figure out what else to do.. tried calling Apple Tech Asia - cant get through... says to go to internet.
Tried calling number in US from India.. cant get through.
Although this is not the final edit, I am disappointed at the way Apple do not even have an email address on the Apple ID page to get some sort of an answer as to why I cant download a simple update for my FCP 6.0 on my Mac Book Pro......... Wasted two days like this...
I reckon it must be a video codec which is a part of 6.0.2 or higher. But if anybody has any answers it would be useful.
Thanks
Old December 26th, 2010, 09:40 AM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

Have you tried downloading the last available update for FCP 6 here? :

Final Cut Pro 6.0.6
Old December 26th, 2010, 10:40 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Same Problem

Thanks Robert. The link takes me to the same page and the same response once I enter my FCP serial number. It just says that it is invalid.

I have finally sorted the problem by spending 89 dollars on Calibrated{Q} software which loads the XDCAM EX codec into Quicktime.
But it is a pity that a legit serial number should not work on the FCP update download site.
Searching the web produced many more such horror stories including one where one guy downloaded the update only to have a message on his machine that it needs 6.0.5 to update. (he reverted to 6.0.0) like me on this machine.

Maybe somebody from Apple knows why legit serial numbers for FCP (from a box, installed de novo) show up as invalid on their website?
Old December 27th, 2010, 11:34 AM   #4
Go Go Godzilla

Apple and other software publishers release serial numbers that are country/region specific. It could be that since you purchased your software package in another country than where you are now that during the update process the standard web-based interrogation that goes on in the background that Software Update recognizes you're not in the same country as where the software was purchased and therefore locks you out from updates.

That's the only thing that makes sense for your situation.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite