DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   FileVault vs. FCE on Al PowerBook (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/48952-filevault-vs-fce-al-powerbook.html)

Ron Johnson August 7th, 2005 10:57 AM

FileVault vs. FCE on Al PowerBook

I can't say what originally excited me by the idea of running FileVault to encrypt the data on my PowerBook, but it did happen...

Recently I tried to capture video and had many difficulties - sluggish Preview screen, and innumerable Timecode breaks on the captured video. After some worry (and some choice words), decided to undo FileVault - so far so good, BUT, to undo FileVault your HD cannot be more than half full. Well, I had passed the halfway mark awhile back... time to transfer files to the external drive (LaCie FW800, 400 GB). In the process, I thought it might be a good idea to make disk images of the folders I was moving. One folder in particular was around 8 GB - after much disk whirring and apparent progress messages, Disk Utility eventually told me that the Disk Image was too large.

Some questions:
1) What is the maximum size of a disk image?
2) Why didn't Disk Utility tell me at the beginning that the folder and resultant disk image would be too large?
2) Why couldn't FCE tell me that the system throughput was inadequate for video capture instead of making me think that there were problems with the video, tape or camera?

All is back to normal - capturing video w/o issues, etc., but with FileVault OFF.

thanks,
rj

Otto Bartsch August 7th, 2005 09:54 PM

Ron--

Don't know the answers to your disk image questions, but I do have some input re: Filevault.

You CAN use FileVault and FCP without problems, but your capture disk must NOT be in the encrypted directory (home). So, put it in shared or at the root level, and you will be fine. It has to do with the fact that the FileVault volume is an image and with the on-the-fly decryption hogs bandwidth. Keep it out of the protected area, and you won't have the problem.

However, there is absolutely no way you should be using the internal drive on your PB to capture video on a regular basis. There are a ton of reasons for this, but here are two of the major ones:

The internal disk is a slow disk, 5400 RPM at most. You should be using a 7200 RPM disk to be sure you don't drop frames.

Video CRUSHES disks. You can count on a drive that is regularly used for video failing. You don't want to lose everything else, so use an external disk with JUST the captures on it. Then, if it fails, you merely need to recapture the footage and you're on your way. On this note, you SHOULD save your project file in your boot disk so that when the capture disk crashes, you don't lose your edits.

Ron Johnson August 8th, 2005 10:08 AM

Otto -

Thank you for your reply Re: FileVault. In the case I had brought up, my capture disk was external (LaCie FW800). Can you think of any other reasons there would be trouble with an external disk and FileVault? Though I have to admit, everything runs a little faster with FV off and I will probably stay in that mode.

rj