Mac Pro, need help!! probably dumbest situation ever! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 12th, 2011, 07:31 PM   #1
Major Player

Mac Pro, need help!! probably dumbest situation ever!

Hi all, I'm feeling like a total idiot right now. Just setup my new mac pro, and connected my 46" lcd, via mini display port to HDMI. Everything was working great, I went into video settings, and switch from 1080i output to 1080p, forgetting my tv was only 1080i. When I rebooted, the startup screen shows, then monitor goes back to "no signal".

Would anyone know how to use the keyboard, blind, to change video out put settings?

My only other options is to go run and buy a dvi cable and connect my old 19 inch computer monitor, but I didnt really want to do that.

Thanks for the help, if anyone happens to be out there right now.
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2011, 05:23 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Tried booting in Safe Mode?

Or this idea:

Mac Usenet - Help! - fiddled with monitor settings now no picture
Allen White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2011, 11:02 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Allen. That link was just what I needed. I ended up running out and buying a dvi cable for my old 19 inch computer monitor. While I was able to get both the 19inch and the 46inch to work together, if I took the 19 out of the mix, the Mac kept reverting back to the other settings. That link led me to the solution. This is my first Mac, and my first experience with the Mac os. I'm loving it so far.
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2011, 03:21 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Sweet! I'm really happy that this helped.

I greatly prefer the Mac OS to Windows myself. I got tired of having to constantly tweak Windows to get it to do what I wanted.
Allen White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 10:00 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Great that it worked out. One thing that doesn't get much mention is the inconsistencies that arise when manufacturers of LCDs don't program the correct identifiers into their equipment so computers can tell what resolutions are accepted. This used to be a problem with cheaper brands for CRT monitors, now that many HDTVs are also computer monitors this problems crops again.

Last edited by William Hohauser; January 16th, 2011 at 09:01 PM.
William Hohauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2011, 11:13 AM   #6
Major Player

I decided on buying a Mac, as opposed to building a pc, because I wanted to learn fcp and color. And since adobe CS5 is offered for Mac, it was a best of both worlds solution for me. Frankly to build a good i7, 6 core, windows machine, was about the same price as an 8 core Mac pro. I worked in the night club business for the last 15 years, and have built many computerized DJ systems, that are still being used as I type this. So I know my way inside out out of a windows machine, but Mac is like starting over. It's coming along fast, and I bought a book on Snow Lepeord (about 700 pages), and using that as reference, when needed.
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite