DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Self contained virtual video presentation interface (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/490755-self-contained-virtual-video-presentation-interface.html)

Jonathan Jones January 26th, 2011 11:22 PM

Self contained virtual video presentation interface

I'm not really sure how best to ask the following, because it deals with concepts that I am not very familiar with, but here goes:

I have a friend who has been putting together a series of instructional video clips that he hopes to arrange within a framework of an educational software program. Rather than create a traditional DVD of the content, he would like to create a software application that he hopes to market and sale within Apple's Mac App Store, but would like it to be something that replicates the general style of navigation as is typical with a video DVD. This would be a single self-contained application that had the various video files embedded, and they could be navigated through and presented through the application interface.

What his description reminded me of was the endless series of CD-ROM programs I received from publishers back in the 90s, when I was a teacher. These discs frequently accompanied lesson packets, textbooks, and magazine periodicals. With either an AutoStart function or simple "Start Here" triggers, the content was accessed through an interface on the CD-ROM that was usually created through html.

This sounds pretty much like what he wants to do, except not having it be put onto physical media, but rather self-contained in a single application file, or "package".

The problem is that he has not experience with this (neither do I) and he is curious as to whether or not there is a specific or recommended program on the market that can be used to author such an interface or application environment.

The topic of his content is Mac-based, and his intended method of distribution will be through the Apple Mac App Store, so his application will be designed for Macs. I am therefore assuming that he intends to author his application on a Mac as well.

I feel like I'm just not thinking of something completely obvious, but frankly just don't have any enlightening information to offer him.

Anyone here have some insights or ideas you can offer?

Many thanks in advance.

-Jon

Giroud Francois January 27th, 2011 01:55 AM

flash is the closest product you can use for such purpose.
it allows any multimedia content to be played and controlled.
you can design controls to make menus and even add some data handling.
the result can be compiled as a real application or for web use (except on iphone and ipad)
it can be edited on PC or MAC
if flash is too much, you can go with simple HTML (or DHTML for more visual effect) but this is often difficult to make sure it will play on any version of browsers.
if you need to write web apps compatible iphone/ipad, sensha touch is a nice product that allows to mimic almost all touch interface behavior from simple web page and it is free.

Jonathan Jones January 28th, 2011 10:44 PM

Thank you, Giroud, for your helpful feedback. I have passed the info on to my friend, with hopes that he will check it out and put it to good use.

Thanks again.

-Jon