Monitor configuration, asking for personel opinions. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 29th, 2011, 11:12 PM   #1
Major Player

Monitor configuration, asking for personel opinions.

Ok, have my Mac Pro, and FC studio. In the process of setting up the rest of the system. Its eventually going to be a general purpose system, editing, photo, modeling, effects, and maybe some sound, all thrown in together. I have a whole shopping list of things I want to get to complete things. I've built, and worked with multi monitor systems (Night club DJ systems), and will be running a mutli monitor system here. I'm pretty sure I've decided on Dell Ultra sharp monitors. These will be general purpose monitors (not color grading).

BUT!! (there's always a but), My shopping list priority allows me a certain amount, at this time for this. So I could get two 24 inch (16:10, 1900x1200) ultra sharp.

Or I could get one 27 inch (16:9, 2560x1440), or possible save a little more and get one 30 inch (16:10, 2560x1600)

If I go the single monitor route, it may be 6 to 8 months, before my budget will allow the 2nd monitor. I have a crappy 19 inch lcd, that I can use, if I needed too, but it isnt that good.

I was just like to hear some opinions, about your work flow, and what you think about screen sizes, for FCP and the other applications you use. I know there is a monitor forum, but since FCP in my focus, I wanted to ask some fcp people their thoughts.

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 11:12 AM   #2
Major Player

Physical desk real-estate is something you should consider - but ignoring that for the moment, assuming you aren't also monitoring out to an external broadcast monitor/plasma etc for playback then two 24" obviously a good option - the issue being at 1900 pixels wide you aren't quite full HD, which is what you really want to have on your viewing monitor if you are going to be working in HD resolutions.

However, if you only have one decently sized screen, then you can't monitor at full res (using Digital Cinema Desktop) and edit on the timeline anyway - so my advise would be to try and spring for some screens that will definitely do full raster HD if possible (1920 width.)

The crappy 19" monitor is actually quite useful, because you can just use it for bins, and use your main monitor as the timeline etc. This again works best if you are viewing the footage and timeline on an external video monitor of some sort, and not on you computer screen.
Old January 31st, 2011, 01:34 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Just FYI: we bought 4 Dell U2410f 24" monitors and we've had to send 3 of them back. To Dell's credit, they've shipped us replacement monitors immediately, but still.
Andrew Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2011, 04:15 PM   #4
Major Player

I really do want to get a couple 27 or 30 inch monitors. Eventually my setup with be multiple main screens (thru my ati vid card). Then I want to output, via a Kona card (or something like that), to a broadcast monitor, and a plasma.

If not the dells, would anyone have a brand recommendation for these monitors? I've seen both good and bad about the Dell ultra's. I want two screens with nice sharp pictures, and decent color reproductions.

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 07:42 AM   #5
Regular Crew

samsung has some fairly newer 20-24in led monitors that I like. They run about 270 a piece. I would think that would be in your budget since your looking into 27in+
Caleb Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2011, 05:07 PM   #6
Inner Circle

There really is no substitute for one socking great monitor that gives you the largest amount of screen real estate in one device. I know that two 16:10 24" monitors have a larger total pixel count but it's not the same. If you get one good 30" monitor you can always get a cheapish 24" or 2 for non critical usage (web browsing, email etc) for use alongside the 2560x1600 monster.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite