DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   '08 Imac can't handle 1080p EX1 footage or something else? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/491769-08-imac-cant-handle-1080p-ex1-footage-something-else.html)

Josh Bass February 14th, 2011 10:44 PM

'08 Imac can't handle 1080p EX1 footage or something else?

As you may have guessed from the thread title, I have an '08 Imac, 2.4 Ghz, 3GB RAM (the max for this machine).

As you also may have guessed, I have tried to use EX1 footage on an FCP timeline and edit it.

As you also may have guessed, it didn't work out so well.

With sequence settings perfectly matched to the clip properties, is there a reason that I get the spinny colored wheel and a second or two of pause before ANY operation engages (playing footage, moving clip, useing razor, etc.)?

Is this machine simply not man enough for 1080p EX1 footage? Or is there some hidden thing I'm missing?

Rusty Rogers February 15th, 2011 12:46 AM

Rainbow Pinwheel of Death?

:~)
Sinister Apple!

Although iMac's are just laptops on edge, they should be more capable.

I'm new to FCP and I find it's rather cute exterior to hide a pretty incapable edit engine with modern footage. (EX1 is nearly an antique already)

Is there a red render line?

Any other processes going on?

Josh Bass February 15th, 2011 01:32 AM

No red line.

Just played with a 40 second clip, 1080i (I said P before and I was lying sorry), seems after an initial pause, now it edits fine.

A longer (10 minute-ish) clip, not so much. Couple seconds pause every time I do an operation.

Other processes? As in programs? Yes, guilty of having lots of crap going at once.

William Hohauser February 15th, 2011 07:14 AM

Where is the footage living? On the internal drive or an external. How did you import the footage? Is it FCP ready? Do you have any QuickTime extensions installed like Perian? A rainbow circle indicates a process slow down which can be caused by drives waking from sleep or other programs grabbing resources. Flash in the web browser, anyone?

Close all programs that are not directly involved with your edit. Use a decent drive that's not packed full of data, FireWire preferably although USB2 will work with EX and HDV footage. ProRes footage should be on FireWire for smooth playback.

1080iEX should play fine even on your iMac.

R Geoff Baker February 16th, 2011 06:11 AM

For the record I have often used my '08 2.4Ghz C2D 2GB MBP to edit EX1 1080 (and 720p) source material. Working from an external drive attached via FW800 it performs well for a couple of layers, or applying a reasonable amount of motion changes -- some things always demand a render, such as drop shadow on an inset box, but it is always responsive to basic commands.

I suspect the '08 MBP is more like the '09 iMac, but they are pretty similar.

HTH

GB

David Knaggs February 16th, 2011 10:51 PM

I agree with William. I edit 1080p XDCAM EX all the time on a MacBook Pro and an '08 iMac (also 2.4 GHz). It should handle it just fine. I suspect that it might be an external drive having to wake up or some such.