DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 11th, 2005, 01:05 PM   #1
New Boot

New to Video Editing and Needing Advice

I'm just entering the video editing world, although I've done considerable film editing (semi-pro not pro!).

I am debating between starting with iMovie, Final Cut Express 2, and Final Cut Pro 5. I know the gradation in difficulty levels but want some advice re whether it's better to start with an easy program and then to later learn a more difficult one, or jumping right in and slowly learning the top end program.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

CP
Craig Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2005, 02:31 PM   #2
Contributor

If you have any experience with NLE programs, then I wouldn't suggest that you don't bother with imovie. It will just frustrate you, and you won't learn anything about how FCP works.

I have no experience with FCE, so I don't know how suited it is as a trainer for FCP, but I think it is good. If you are just starting, you won't need all of the functionality of the full FCP program.

imovie is like a really good Casablanca (if that means anything to you), it is very user-friendly but not very flexible. If you plan on doing anything other than assemble video footage together, then imovie won't even be fun for you.

I hope that this helps,

Frankenstein meets XL1
Daniel Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2005, 05:08 PM   #3
Regular Crew

FCE is a good trainer

Criag,

I started with FCE just a few months ago and worked through the Apple Pro training manual. Recently I fell into some good fortune and was able to upgrade from FCE2 to FCP 5. I feel that Express was an excellent training program and nothing comes to mind that is a completely different method from FCE. There's quite a bit more with FCP but learning the interface and using the main parts of the program are all the same on Express.

I hope that this helps you in making your decision.
Nathan Chaszeyka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite