Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 23rd, 2005, 12:08 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hockings
I guess there is some conflict between FCP and the "go to sleep" function, maybe FCP takes too long putting its toys away and gets cut off. I haven't had a problem since getting into the habbit of closing everything myself.
Apple recommends disabling any sort of "energy saving" modes when using Final Cut, including sleep and cpu-cycling modes. I can't remember if it's in the manual or an article in Apple's online knowledge base, but there is a document describing a bunch of things you should do to set your system up for editing, including this.
http://2soc.net
Jason J. Gullickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 12:58 AM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Plunkett
Any thouights on one of the iMacs with a superdrive. I am working out of a new G-4 power book and may not wait for the payday to buy a G-5. I like what I see in the iMac. What do you guys and gals think?

btw: so if FCP is incompatable with Tiger -- what now?
FCP is fine with Tiger afaik.

I use an iMac (but w/ external Lightscribe drive instead of the Superdrive) and it's perfect. DV, HDV, all just works as it should and is quite fast. I also ran a dual G5 2ghz for about a year - the only appreciable difference between the iMac and the dual was 2nd CPU. I can't really work on anything else when the iMac is rendering (1 CPU is completely taxed) - for me, that's actually a plus. Forces me to leave my desk and do something else.

FCP (4.5) didn't seem to have any major multithread advantage with two CPUs when i was using it. Might have improved with FCP 5, but don't expect a 2x improvement.

I've also done a lot of DV work on a Powerbook 17 (that was my main workstation before I my old job got me a dual g5 (mentioned above)). It was slower than a G5, but completely suited for the work I was doing (corporate and edu TV editing).
Old August 24th, 2005, 03:51 AM   #33
Regular Crew

This thread is full of all kinds of great info....I'd like to throw in some more info. Sorry if allready discussed.

A big difference between the new ibooks is that the 14" ibook comes with a superdrive so you can burn your own dvds. The 12" doesn't.

A side by side comparison:
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....1.1.0.0.0.1.0

I have read what every one is saying about the 12" & 14" ibooks having the same size screen, but in the link above and seeing both side by side in person. I thought I could see a slight difference in the 14" being larger....

Also,

I bought an emac from the online apple store a few years ago and used the student discount. Apple never asked for me to send in a copy of my student id. I did have to click what school I am attending, so I'm not sure if they have a database of names....I'd bet they don't though. It seems we'd hear something about that if they did.

Apple most definitely asked to see my id when I went to their store amd bought my ipod.....

:)
Dennis Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2005, 03:48 AM   #34
New Boot

thank you all

hi all
thanks for the feedback.. i have to reread through it all again (starting from the last point of comprehension) and process it a bit for myself.
really appreciate your points, jason and boyd, thank you again, for your time and generosity.. but i suppose thats what this community is all about.
best and ill be back soon, probably with more questions...
jeanette
Jeanette Jegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2005, 06:14 AM   #35
Regular Crew

Good luck Jeanette. Don't worry, hardware choices are just the beginning :)
http://2soc.net
Jason J. Gullickson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite