DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Great news on next version of FCP (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/492202-great-news-next-version-fcp.html)

William Hohauser March 6th, 2011 09:53 AM

Re: Great news on next version of FCP

Actually yes, if the vague description given to the attendees to this product focus group (which I am making an assumption that it was run as) is anything near accurate, then some of them would be critical of any immediately apparent flaws in the new product. Of course some flaws take a few hours of work to really find.

As a person who has been part of focus groups in the past, comments are encouraged whether or not the company decides to act on the comments or merely tell their PR departments to de-emphasize the weaknesses. One focus group (pre-Internet) was about an office management system that integrated computers, phones and whatever. It was shot down by one executive who wondered why anyone would use the electronic note system when paper stickies were so easy and cheap. The company had no answer.

I was once part of the team analyzing focus groups of kids, nationwide, watching cartoon pilots. The kids all preferred one show over the rest but the network management didn't want to hear that so they ignored the results and went with the show that fit their plans instead.

David Hardy March 6th, 2011 10:26 AM

We're in the process of migrating several sites from FCP to CS5 for two reasons: Firstly, a general suspicion that the next upgrade will be another let down and secondly its provides an escape route if Apple move further in their transition to a consumer electronics company.

Steve Kalle March 6th, 2011 02:27 PM

This was purely a publicity event. Apple wanted to offer 'hope' to its FCP customers in order to prevent many more jumping ship to Avid & Adobe.

If the next version is released in the next few months, then all this event did was show people new features. There is not enough time for feedback and then rewriting the software based on that feedback.

Steve Oakley March 6th, 2011 02:36 PM

well no doubt its a publicity stunt to keep the faithful onboard.... but no they are not going to be re-writting anything in a few months. clearly they have had a couple years to do that, and this was a first peak at their new creation near final stages. they are in bug fix mode.

some things to keep in mind, if they announce a new product, according to SEC rules they must ship it within the quarter, so seeing a just shy of NAB release would make sense. by the time the show hits, they'll have it on the street, and in the booths of other vendors for everyone to look / see.

while apple says they aren't doing trade shows anymore, there is NOTHING stopping them from doing a big media event sunday afternoon like they have in the past, or for doing the FCP LA super meet cattle call party on tues nite to let the masses see what they are up to. in fact I would more then bet thats exactly what happens.... so just sit tight for another month or so.

that said, I switched over the prem pro full time over a year ago. once you go CUDA, there's no going back :)

to sit and think adobe and avid are sitting still would be silly. avid just announced updates to their products - MC 5.5 should be shipping shortly. so don't think anybody is sitting around, in fact if anything its apple thats guilty of it.

William Hohauser March 6th, 2011 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Kalle (Post 1625219)
This was purely a publicity event. Apple wanted to offer 'hope' to its FCP customers in order to prevent many more jumping ship to Avid & Adobe.

If the next version is released in the next few months, then all this event did was show people new features. There is not enough time for feedback and then rewriting the software based on that feedback.

Enjoy CS5 then. It's a good suite. It seems you and others have decided fate regarding Apple and FCS on no evidence but time and rumor. And yes there's plenty of time to rewrite software, especially the UI if the team is on it exclusively.

Good luck, you naysayers might be right. I'll wait it out however, Premier is not for me.