Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 7th, 2011, 06:09 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: Can someone explain Apple's logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Clark View Post
Sager uses desktop boards in many of their laptops which is why you can get laptops with 6 core chips.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 11:59 PM   #17
Major Player

Yes, I know they do; but there is only one Sager model, the NP7280, that is a 6-core shipping product and it's not SandyBridge....it's a X58 chipset.

It's clearly stated, in the link below, that the affected chipsets are the Quad Core Desktops and Laptops...which these MBP's are using now....aren't they?

Intel's Sandy Bridge chipset flaw: The fallout | Nanotech - The Circuits Blog - CNET News

The timeline:

Jan. 31, 2011 - Intel recalls the Sandy Bridge chipset
Feb. 24, 2011 - Apple release's the new MBP with Sandy Bridge

OK, so if Sager is providing a recall for their laptops, wouldn't Apple?

I'm just trying to figure out why these new MBP's wouldn't be affected. Maybe the MBP's are using a different chipset?
Andrew Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 12:17 AM   #18
Trustee

That article is incorrect because there were no SB laptops at the time of the article; so, "if you are a consumer who's run out and grabbed a high-end laptop or desktop gaming rig in the last few weeks..." is incorrect. The only other thing they could have meant for 'high-end laptop' is something like Sager which use desktop boards.

Later in the article, it says," seeing a failure to access ports 2 through 5". Laptop models have at most, 2 Sata ports. I don't know why they continue to discuss this issue affecting laptops because Apple is the first SB laptop to be released, a month after this article was written.

For once, Apple is releasing the first generation of an Intel product, the mobile SB board/CPU.

As to why Sager still shows the warning, they are probably last in line to receive new boards from Intel due to their small sales. Apple is one of Intel's biggest, so, they can get first dibs.

Read this, #1: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2379241,00.asp

Last edited by Steve Kalle; March 8th, 2011 at 01:01 AM.
Old March 8th, 2011, 01:48 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kalle View Post
....For once, Apple is releasing the first generation of an Intel product, the mobile SB board/CPU.

Apple is one of Intel's biggest, so, they can get first dibs.

Read this, #1: Intel's Sandy Bridge Glitch: 7 Things You Need to Know | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
Right...so if Apple got "first dibs" and Sager got second dibs...and Sager is issuing instructions on how those customers should return those 1st gen systems....wouldn't it make logical sense that Apple has the 1st gen chipsets as well?

In other words, how can the new MBP's have the same SB chipset as the other vendors and not be affected....especially since you state that Apple gets "first dibs"?

Also, Intel states that it only affects the 3Gbps SATA ports...not the 6Gbps SATA ports. So if these new MBP's have and use the latter....it's fine. But if they do utilize the slower port...which nobody seems to really know for sure...then there could be a potential problem that Intel as well as Sager and other vendors have publicly stated.

Hey....if one is going to shell out $2500 plus for a laptop, I'd wanna make absolutely sure that I have the "fixed" version....and not have to send it back to get fixed later down the road.
Old March 8th, 2011, 03:20 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Shealy View Post
This looks like a really bad business decision for professional users.
Apple chooses it's hardware for their own software to assure it runs as it should, Think they don't care about professional users that rely on cuda support for software which are not specifically designed for a Mac. Especially if you see how poor realtime performance fcp gives now with 1080p h264 footage I wouldn't be surprised that the new fcp version will use the Amd cards for acceleration.

If you want to buy a Mac you have to follow their vision and choose the software that goes with that for best results.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 10:59 AM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Right...so if Apple got "first dibs" and Sager got second dibs...and Sager is issuing instructions on how those customers should return those 1st gen systems....wouldn't it make logical sense that Apple has the 1st gen chipsets as well?

In other words, how can the new MBP's have the same SB chipset as the other vendors and not be affected....especially since you state that Apple gets "first dibs"?

Also, Intel states that it only affects the 3Gbps SATA ports...not the 6Gbps SATA ports. So if these new MBP's have and use the latter....it's fine. But if they do utilize the slower port...which nobody seems to really know for sure...then there could be a potential problem that Intel as well as Sager and other vendors have publicly stated.

Hey....if one is going to shell out $2500 plus for a laptop, I'd wanna make absolutely sure that I have the "fixed" version....and not have to send it back to get fixed later down the road.
Did you read the article I linked to? It clearly states that only desktop boards were affected.
Old March 8th, 2011, 12:25 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
Apple chooses it's hardware for their own software to assure it runs as it should,

========

If you want to buy a Mac you have to follow their vision and choose the software that goes with that for best results.
Which is what I have done for 12 years, since investing in FCP 1.0.2

Not a fanboy but it works for me - fewer variables in individual builds of systems is congruent with (not EQUAL TO...) a more seamless integration.

Sounds like a SOLID business decision to me...
Old March 8th, 2011, 01:20 PM   #23
Adobe Systems

Hi Guys,
You can use Premiere Pro CS5 on a Mac and edit, regardless of the video card you have in your system. You see, the Mercury Engine works even without a CUDA based card. If you happen to have one, then certain items are accelerated. If you don't have such a card, you can still edit RED and DSLR footage natively—even on a MacBook Pro.

More info here: Adobe Forums: Mercury, CUDA, and what it all means
http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotr...miere-pro.html
Old March 8th, 2011, 01:33 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Actually my own quote is not always right :) look at below comparison, one would expect that fcp which can be designed for only a very few hardwareoptions should perform very good but it seems it's quite bad with realtime performance. Another NLE, not designed for Mac outperforms FCP by quite a lot. (it's in German but short explained fcp on a quad core mac is not able to play 3 streams of h264 1080p files PIP in realtime while edius can on the same mac with bootcamp, even if edius has to render files to give you a preview the difference is very big, a few seconds for edius and 3 minutes for fcp for a 10 second clip)

But I expect that to change for the new fcp version, they have to if they want to stay competitive.
YouTube - FinalCut Pro vs. EDIUS 6 - performance comparison
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 01:19 AM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Did you read the article I linked to? It clearly states that only desktop boards were affected.
Did you read this quote off the Intel website?

Q: How do I determine if my system is affected?

A: Desktop systems using the Intel® H67 and P67 Express Chipsets and mobile systems using the Intel® HM67 and HM65 may be affected by this issue. Intel recommends that end users contact their place of purchase or system manufacturer for more information.

Here's the link .... Solution for the Intel Series 6 Chipset Design Error
Old March 9th, 2011, 01:25 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Monahan View Post
Hi Guys,
You can use Premiere Pro CS5 on a Mac and edit, regardless of the video card you have in your system. You see, the Mercury Engine works even without a CUDA based card. If you happen to have one, then certain items are accelerated. If you don't have such a card, you can still edit RED and DSLR footage natively—even on a MacBook Pro.
Kevin....thanks for re-iterating that for us all. Sometimes that is overlooked.

Do you think Adobe will support OpenCL in the future? Or more interestingly, is it even possible to support both CUDA and OpenCL simultaneously?

Also, considering the MBP can only hold 8gb of RAM, would CS5 PPro run smoothly just for basic cuts only editing?
Old March 9th, 2011, 01:32 AM   #27
Trustee

Quote:
Did you read this quote off the Intel website?

Q: How do I determine if my system is affected?

A: Desktop systems using the Intel® H67 and P67 Express Chipsets and mobile systems using the Intel® HM67 and HM65 may be affected by this issue. Intel recommends that end users contact their place of purchase or system manufacturer for more information.

Here's the link .... Solution for the Intel Series 6 Chipset Design Error
Why did you waste all this time and not just go there to begin with?
Old March 9th, 2011, 01:40 AM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Why did you waste all this time and not just go there to begin with?
Actually, I wasn't the one wasting time as I knew this all along. It was you that was so adamant in stating that it was only the desktop boards that were affected.

I'm just trying to find out from anybody here ... and Apple .... to see if the new MBP's are affected by this recall. So far, nobody seems to know for sure....and I have not seen an email reply back from Apple yet.

No harm, no foul my friend!! Just seeking the facts.
Old March 9th, 2011, 03:03 AM   #29
Major Player

I am the owner of a brand new MBP and am asking the same questions.

Intel provides instructions for how to check if you're affected on Windows but doesn't provide instructions for OSX so I'm thinking maybe we're in the clear. Surely if they the Macs were affected a similar instruction would be provided? Maybe?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite