Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 12th, 2005, 10:01 AM   #1
Regular Crew

About time

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/ptech/0....ap/index.html

Mac finally sells a two button mouse. Photoshop users rejoice.
Old August 12th, 2005, 11:55 AM   #2
Wrangler

Here's a more in-depth review:

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/mightymouse.ars

It's nice that Apple has finally introduced such a product, and that the price is reasonable. But aside from that it really isn't much of an issue. Many of us have been using multi-button mice for years on the Mac. I use a Wacom Intuitos graphics table that includes both a pressure/position sensitive stylus and a 3 button mouse with scroll wheel.

Over at apple's site on the FCP forum the mighty mouse is getting mixed reviews, although some people really like it. It also appears that OSX 10.4.2 has some hooks built into specifically for this product, and some have speculated that this can cause a slowdown in FCP 5 playback if you're using another brand of mouse....
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2005, 12:57 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Now i'm overly interested to give it a test run in fcp5 when I get to school.

Hopefully the journalism department picks up a few.
Old August 12th, 2005, 01:10 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Handler
Photoshop users rejoice.
I can't imagine that a serious photoshop user wouldn't have a graphics tablet though. WACOM sells their Graphire series for about $100 which includes a wireless 3 button mouse with scroll wheel and a pressure sensitive stylus. These are really a great deal. The Intuitos series is nicer but much more expensive.

If photoshop is important to you and if funds are tight I think this is a much better productivity investment than the Apple mouse. You really can't "paint" effectively with a mouse! :-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2005, 07:32 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I picked up a Mighty Mouse and have been using it on Panther and FCP 4.5 HD for a day now. It's performance has been flawless. I use it in combination with a Shuttlepro.

As documented elsewhere, you have to be on Tiger in order to run the software that let's you customize the buttons. On Panther, you get the defaults which are Button 2 = Expose "All Windows", scrolling, and nothing for the "squeeze" button.

I wanted the mouse simply for the ability to scroll around on the timeline and it does this superbly. It's also very handy for scrolling file selection panes etc.

The Expose on Button 2 is ok but my decades old habit with a single button mouse are a problem as all clicking requires my finger to be on the left half of the mouse instead of anywhere. I'd say about half the time I get the expose action when I'm trying to click. However, the scrolling outweighs all that and ultimately, I can be trained on pointing.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite