DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   FCP project for web use question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/492753-fcp-project-web-use-question.html)

Simon Glidewell March 7th, 2011 10:56 AM

FCP project for web use question

Dear All,

I have a short one and a half minute HD video trailer waiting to be exported which I cut in FCP. Eventually I want to add it to our website (via an embedded Youtube link), Youtube itself and Facebook (again via an embedded Youtube link). My question is, what is the best way to export it from FCP to compress it making it web friendly, whilst retaining the best picture/sound quality? I'd like to do it in the simplest, least memory hungry fashion! Any suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers
Simon

Gary Nattrass March 7th, 2011 12:36 PM

Re: FCP project for web use question

I usually export from FCP in the same set-up as the sequence so it creates a master file in the same format.

I then save for web in quicktime (H264 computer) which gives me a 1280x720p 5mbs file for upload to your tube, I think apple TV is the same spec and I have also exported for desktop in QT7 wich is the same but at 1.5mbs.

Personally I find that 720p works best for you tube etc and there are several examples of uploads on my web page:HD Production - FILMING

Simon Glidewell March 7th, 2011 12:58 PM

Cheers Gary,

However, do I export as a Quicktime movie from FCP (and if so should it be self contained or not?) or some other format?

Many thanks
Simon

Allen White March 7th, 2011 07:00 PM

For archive versions: Always export as Self-Contained. Choose Item Settings to keep the movie in its native format (i.e. same as timeline settings, which should be native unless you changed them).

Quicktime is a container, not a codec. A wide variety of video types can have a .mov extension and be played by Quicktime, so calling something a Quicktime file is not really a helpful description. What's more important is exporting to the codec you want for the purpose that you need. The container (mov, avi, mp4, etc.) is of somewhat less importance than the codec (for example, container extensions can often be manually changed and still play, because a player is reading the codec and doesn't care what the file extension says), but can certainly affect which kind of software (or site encoders) can recognize the file.

YouTube lists optimal file requirements so that your uploaded video looks its best.

See these YouTube pages for specifics:

Optimizing your video uploads - YouTube Help
File format and editing tips for Apple users - YouTube Help

YouTube wants your files to have AAC audio.

Simon Glidewell March 25th, 2011 04:30 AM

Many thanks to all who responded to my question and because of your answers I've now successfully solved the problem! Cheers...

Simon