Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 7th, 2011, 10:56 AM   #1
Regular Crew

FCP project for web use question

Dear All,

I have a short one and a half minute HD video trailer waiting to be exported which I cut in FCP. Eventually I want to add it to our website (via an embedded Youtube link), Youtube itself and Facebook (again via an embedded Youtube link). My question is, what is the best way to export it from FCP to compress it making it web friendly, whilst retaining the best picture/sound quality? I'd like to do it in the simplest, least memory hungry fashion! Any suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers
Simon
Old March 7th, 2011, 12:36 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: FCP project for web use question

I usually export from FCP in the same set-up as the sequence so it creates a master file in the same format.

I then save for web in quicktime (H264 computer) which gives me a 1280x720p 5mbs file for upload to your tube, I think apple TV is the same spec and I have also exported for desktop in QT7 wich is the same but at 1.5mbs.

Personally I find that 720p works best for you tube etc and there are several examples of uploads on my web page:HD Production - FILMING
Old March 7th, 2011, 12:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Cheers Gary,

However, do I export as a Quicktime movie from FCP (and if so should it be self contained or not?) or some other format?

Many thanks
Simon
Old March 7th, 2011, 07:00 PM   #4
Regular Crew

For archive versions: Always export as Self-Contained. Choose Item Settings to keep the movie in its native format (i.e. same as timeline settings, which should be native unless you changed them).

Quicktime is a container, not a codec. A wide variety of video types can have a .mov extension and be played by Quicktime, so calling something a Quicktime file is not really a helpful description. What's more important is exporting to the codec you want for the purpose that you need. The container (mov, avi, mp4, etc.) is of somewhat less importance than the codec (for example, container extensions can often be manually changed and still play, because a player is reading the codec and doesn't care what the file extension says), but can certainly affect which kind of software (or site encoders) can recognize the file.

YouTube lists optimal file requirements so that your uploaded video looks its best.

See these YouTube pages for specifics:

Optimizing your video uploads - YouTube Help
File format and editing tips for Apple users - YouTube Help

YouTube wants your files to have AAC audio.
Allen White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 04:30 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Many thanks to all who responded to my question and because of your answers I've now successfully solved the problem! Cheers...

Simon

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite