DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 13th, 2011, 01:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Strange iMac Behaviour

This is the second time that my Mac has suddenly begun playing melodies and songs without having any such program on.

The first time it happened, I restarted the computer. I'd worked on it for many hours doing editing in Final Cut Express 4 and then some music started playing although there was no program open. Anyway, the restart solved it.

Now, my brother has been playing chess on it for the last half-hour. Suddenly, the music has started playing and it seems that wherever it can access an mp3, it's playing it. I turned off the Chess voice program and it didn't solve the problem.

What should I do?
Helen Habib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2011, 02:37 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Strange iMac Behaviour

Try Force Quit [Command-Alt-Escape] to see what's actually running. If there's no app running that is likely to be playing music, you may be having some kind of RF interference issue.

If you can move your iMac to a different location, you might be able to tell if it is a problem related to where your computer is situated ie if it doesn't happen when your Mac is running in another location a mile or so away.

Also try unplugging any unessential peripherals.

Are you still under warranty or AppleCare? Apple might be able to suggest something if all else fails.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2011, 04:04 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the suggestion Colin. Will try it. I didn't think of trying the Apple equivalent of Ctrl+Alt+Delete which brings up the applications in Windows.

(It's not under warranty or Apple Care.)
Helen Habib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 03:43 AM   #4
Major Player

Make sure you don't have Safari or some other web browser open in the background ... it may be pointing to a website that is auto-playing that unwanted musical accompaniment

Cheers
Andy
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 08:02 AM   #5
Trustee

Also check your System Preferences application (not preferences inside FCP). Go to System Preferences>Accounts>Login Items. In the Login Items tab you'll see a list of applications that launch automatically when you're computer starts up. You can delete them and prevent this from happening again. :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite