DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 16th, 2011, 01:02 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Scratch disc - which one?

I would like to bring with me my complete FCP project on a portable drive and continue working with my mac book pro at home. Then connect the portable drive to my office mac the next day and copy all data to the main HD and continue editing on the office mac.

I remember reading that it's best to set the scratch disc to a seperate drive rather than using the same drive for both media files and scratch disc.

But if I want to move my project between 2 computers, I need to use the portable drive for scratch disk as well... (?)

What is the solution here ?
Old March 16th, 2011, 08:25 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Scratch disc - which one?

I think you're a bit confused. The scratch disk is the disk that contains all your media. I would set your portable hard drive as the scratch disk on your home computer and save both your media and project files to it (with a backup of the project somewhere else, of course.) Then when you get to the office, just plug in your external and open your project. No need to copy media, it will all be there, ready to edit.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 09:37 AM   #3
Inner Circle

That's good advice. And I would like to add that you should use a program like "File Synchronization" (File Synchronization) to backup to a cheap USB2 external drive, Or you can use the same program and the same cheap external drive to update the two computers if you choose to have the scratch disks reside on the individual computers instead of an external drive.
Old March 16th, 2011, 09:39 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thank you both for your advices.
Bjorn
Old March 27th, 2011, 08:49 PM   #5
Go Go Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Carlson View Post
I think you're a bit confused. The scratch disk is the disk that contains all your media.
That's not entirely true. Take a look at the screen-grab of FCP's System Settings. Notice the tab says "disks", plural, not just one. And you have the option to capture audio and video to separate locations.

In fact, your "media" files can live *anywhere*, not just on the assigned scratch disk/s. Depending on how any system is setup media files could very well live on the main OS drive, it could be another internal, any various forms of external locations etc. And the "scratch disk" can and often is completely separate from where the core media lives so that you avoid the tons of fragmentations that occur from all the cache files that by default share the same space as the scratch disk.

Take a look at this "how to page" on how to setup any system for video editing, as it describes how to allocate your drives and where to put all your file types for each edit system type:

Lumenosity Reviews & Workflows: Setting up your Computer for HD Video Editing

You can learn stuff exactly like this and tons more in a filmmakers workshop I'll be hosting next month here in Phoenix. Details to be posted soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Scratch disc - which one?-fcp-sys-settings.jpg  

Last edited by Robert Lane; March 28th, 2011 at 03:43 PM.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite