Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 15th, 2005, 01:37 AM   #1
Major Player

Audio drifting with Canon XL1

Hi everyone,
this is the first video I'm editing on Mac since I just switched from PC and so far Final Cut Pro 5 has been awesome.
Now for the problem: I've captured about an hour of footage with a Canon XL1 and the audio and video slowly drift out of sync. It's not too bad at first, but after about 15 minutes it gets really bad.
Thanks
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2005, 01:16 PM   #2
Major Player

okay, I've done a search on this forum and it seems like I'm not the only one with this problem, yet no one else has come up with a solution that works. I can't seem to locate the option to sync the clips when capturing (I believe they called it "SAM")? Where in FCP is that?
Thanks
Old August 15th, 2005, 06:10 PM   #3
Inner Circle

1- Have you tried reading the manual? It should be in there.

2- The "sync adjust movies" over __ (5?) minutes options is in one of the preferences in the top left area. Not sitting in front of a Mac so I can't say.

3- There's other ways to get audio out of sync.
timecode breaks
capture now
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2005, 10:06 PM   #4
Major Player

I actually did use the capture now option, so would marking the out point at the end of the tape and in at the beginning help?
Thanks for the help
Old August 15th, 2005, 10:37 PM   #5
Wrangler

Andrew,

This is a known issue with the original Canon XL-1. The problem is that the audio is slightly off the 48khz sample frequency and capturing long clips will cause the sync issue. Best way to do this is to limit the time of your individual clips to a few minutes each. This seems to be what has worked for others.

I know you said you had a lot of footage to capture but it's best to break it into smaller chunks by using the log and capture method.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 12:45 AM   #6
Major Player

nothing new to add here... this made my life hell when editing xl1 footage with a panny and a vx in a 3-camera shoot.

i've since moved on to 3 matching vx2100s.
A.J. Briones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 06:41 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Odd, I shot the first half of my doc with and Xl1, the second half with an Xl2. Captured whole tapes at once in both instances, never had a problem with synch. Is this strictly a FCP problem? As I edit on Avid.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 08:25 AM   #8
Inner Circle

1- Turn SAM on, but don't use capture now to capture.

It may help to do an end search to find the last timecode, and then manually type in "5." for the in point (5 seconds; you may be able to reduce that if your device control settings have a lower preroll). It's hard for FCP to log&capture off the first few seconds, you you may need to grab that in another pass with capture now.

I recommend you record room tone in the first 15-30 seconds, which is a good practice anyways.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite