DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 30th, 2011, 07:40 PM   #1
Major Player

Placing and keeping a jpeg logo on screen

This isn't an easy one to title and because of this I haven't found anything in the YouTube tutorials, but I simply want to know how to place a jpeg logo in the corner of the screen during a project.

Also, is it possible to animate it in Final Cut Pro or do I need to do that in Motion?
Cameron Poole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Re: Placing and keeping a jpeg logo on screen

Easy to do BUT if the logo has transparency a JPG is the wrong output choice... TIFF or PSD are better IF you need transparency...

Never the less:

Place the JPG clip on a video layer higher than your video by dragging from the Browser or by using the drag to Canvas method or however you want to get it there.

Make sure your timeline play bar is over top of the JPG clip on the timeline and double click the clip to load it into the Viewer and use the Motion tab at the top to resize, move or otherwise effect the clip.

The default time for a still image in normally 10 seconds. You should be able to drag the clip length with the Arrow (Direct Selection) tool to make it longer. Copy and Paste the clip several times on the Timeline if you need to. Animate to your heart's content in FCP using keyframes.

Done!
Old March 30th, 2011, 07:58 PM   #3
Major Player

Many thanks! Incidentally is there a professional term for this method?

Secondly, I also want to animate a map with the red line tracer hitting the destinations - we've all seen it. I assume I would do this also using keyframes and simply take a screenshot of the map from Google Images but can I do a basic animation like this in FCP alone or can it not be done without Motion?
Cameron Poole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 07:07 AM   #4
Trustee

You can also use PNG files with transparency.....

Animating lines etc it best done in Motion (take a big gulp and dive in !)
Old March 31st, 2011, 08:11 AM   #5
Major Player

One term for such an animated logo is a "bug." An exported .mov using the Animation codec will preserve transparency; animate your logo in whatever program, output it as an Animation .mov, and then plop it in like any regular video layer. If it's live video, green screen and chroma-key it.

You can do quick n' dirty travel lines directly in FCP:
1. If the line is straight, create a color solid by going to Effects->Video Generators->Color Solid. If it's jagged or curved, might have to get fancy with multiple color solid layers or garbage mattes - or, just learn Motion.
2. In the Viewer Window Motion controls tab, set the color solid's final size and orientation using crop, scale, distort, and rotation
3. Animate the start and stop points of its reveal via a keyframed crop adjustment or wipe transition
4. Add a heavy blur or edge feather to round it off as desired, or compound it with other effects

Here's a sample I did a few years back using a radial wipe reveal:

Or, you could just learn Motion.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite