Does anyone use a controller? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 26th, 2011, 07:40 AM   #1
Major Player

Does anyone use a controller?

I was just curious if anyone uses a controller surface for FCP? While I am very new to FCP, I just finished my first project using the software. Along the journey I have become pretty proficient with keyboard shortcuts (When I ordered my software, I also bought a keyboard overlay, to help me learn them). But I was curious if anyone used some sort of controller, like the Euphonix controllers? Before I started working with FCP, I was considering a control service, but as I become more adapt at using keyboard short cuts, Im wondering if its a waist of money? Thought I would see if anyone here uses one (not specifically the Euphonix products, but any).

Thanks for the replies,
Jeff
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2011, 08:06 PM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

Re: Does anyone use a controller?

The reason nobody has responded is because precious few were ever made and they were all either buggy or lacked real support from their manufacturers.

Unfortunately this is one area where FCP lags seriously behind it's PC editing competitors and the only real control surface I've seen recently is this one:

Avid | Artist Control

Outside of that and I don't think there are any - currently in production.
Old May 1st, 2011, 09:38 PM   #3
Major Player

That was the controller I was referring too. I ran across it months ago, before I bought my Mac and FC Studio software, and thought it looked easier then using a mouse. Since then, I have gotten pretty good at using keyboard shortcuts, and can't seem to justify spending that kind of money on a controller. I however am thinking of getting some sort of audio controller, for use in Pro Tools, or some other Sound editing software. But like the idea of being able to use it to control the audio in FC, using sliders, also. I was considering getting the Artist Mix controller, as I think it will also work in FCP.
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2011, 12:56 PM   #4
Trustee

If you want something other than the keyboard, consider the Wacom Intuos4. At first, it will be a little slower but once you get used to it and its pen flicks, it will be faster. (I have the Large Intuos4)

It also works great with other programs like Photoshop, After Effects, Cinema 4D and other compositing & 3D apps.

For audio control surfaces, I have only used Mackie over the years. Currently, I am using the Mackie Onyx 1220i which can double as a computer interface and a field mixer. Prior to the Onyx, I used the prior version of their MCU Pro with motorized sliders but I mainly used it with Propellerhead's Reason.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 02:12 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I went through the same pain, finished up using a magic mouse, keyboard and a gaming device called a Belkin Nostromo Speedpad.
Charles Wannop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 09:26 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I've got a Countour Designs Shuttle Pro v.1 that I picked up at NAB back in '01. It honestly hasn't gotten that much use. I'm a Mouse-n-Keyboard guy I guess.
Old May 20th, 2011, 01:08 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I'm using the Contour Shuttle Express and are very happy with it. Wanted to upgrade to the Euphonix MC Transport but read a lot of stories that it is not very stable.
Stefan Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2011, 02:49 AM   #8
Trustee

I had the Euphonix MC transport and got rid of it as it was virtually un-useable, I now just have the mouse and the contour shuttle pro if I need it.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 05:50 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Immler View Post
I'm using the Contour Shuttle Express and are very happy with it. Wanted to upgrade to the Euphonix MC Transport but read a lot of stories that it is not very stable.
I use the same and am happy with it as well. Other than that Mighty Mouse and a sticker assisted keyboard.
Glen Canning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 07:28 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Nattrass View Post
I had the Euphonix MC transport and got rid of it as it was virtually un-useable, I now just have the mouse and the contour shuttle pro if I need it.
I guess we've had an entirely different experience with the Euphonics/Artist controller. I have been using it—along with the Artist transport—with a Mac 8 core running Leopard, FCP7, Logic Pro 9 and other software, and have found it to be very useful. And since I've kept up with the frequent driver updates it has not been particularly buggy—meaning, no more so than the previously mentioned shuttle pro, which I also own and no longer use. Does it replace the mouse entirely? Probably not, but for many functions, not to mention audio mixing and voice-overs,it is quicker and easier to use.
Ron Wilk is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite