DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   720p / 59.94 to SD DVD Help! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/496802-720p-59-94-sd-dvd-help.html)

Katie Fasel June 5th, 2011 02:25 PM

720p / 59.94 to SD DVD Help!

First, GREAT forum. I've found a lot of valuable insight on a lot of these forums, but this is the first time I'm posting my own problem, so hopefully someone has an answer for me!

I've shot a few weddings using 720 / 60p because that was what was recommended for SD DVD, which is my ultimate output. So now I've finished editing and have started the DVD, and the compressed files look bad....well not the whole things, but any motion shots / pans look terrible, stuttery motion, and I'm guessing that is because compressor is basically dropping every other frame to make the footage 29.97. Any input on how to get it to look better??

My work flow is shoot 720 / 60p, transcode to Apple Pro Res and edit in 720p / 59.94 timeline, Export a Self-contained HD movie, and put into compressor. I've used their DVD best quality templates, I have also tried altering some of them, like turning "Adaptive Details Off" and a few other frame control things...What should I be doing?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Katie Fasel June 6th, 2011 08:31 AM

Re: 720p / 59.94 to SD DVD Help!

Anybody???

It seems that 60 progressive fps would translate well into 30i using one frame as a field instead...Compressor seems to be just dropping the extra frames, creating an interlaced picture out of what's left, which I think is what is making the motion stuttery.

I'm running a test right now where i went into the compressor settings and manually selected the "bottom first" option in both the source video tab and the frame controls tab. Does anyone know if this will help??

Eric Olson June 6th, 2011 05:47 PM

If you want to skip print 60p source to 30p, shoot with a 1/60 shutter to blur out any motion that might otherwise stutter. In the current situation, you could master an interlaced 60i DVD to avoid the stutter. I am not a FCP user so I can't help with the exact details. However, the workflow should have two steps:

1. Downscale the 720p60 source to 480p60.
2. Weave the 480p60 to 480i60.

For best quality people sometimes render 720p60 from the editor and then use specialized software or hardware to downscale, weave and encode.

Mark Williams June 6th, 2011 07:47 PM

Katie,
I don't use FCP or compressor but I shoot 720/60P all the time and make really good looking SD DVDs. I edit in Edius and have my project setting at 1280x720 29.97p over 59.94p. I then export to a Edius HQ file and bring it into TMPGE4 for downsizing and encoding to DVD using pretty much standard DVD template settings. Don't give up. You should be able to get excellent results. Maybe someone will chime in with their FCP workflow for DVDs.

Calvin Bellows June 6th, 2011 10:47 PM

Hey Katie,
I just did a video from 720p60 to SD dvd. When I export out of FCP and compressor opens it gives me a little box with options like dvd Iphone etc. I just click the DVD if the file will fit on a dvd and let it go. Had great success with that. You can also use any of the DVD pre sets. I have had them all work. Remember watching interlaced footage on your computer monitor will look pixley especially with movement. Pop the DVD in your DVD player and see how it looks on your TV at home.