Premiere Pro to Apple Color and back at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 9th, 2011, 02:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Premiere Pro to Apple Color and back

Has anyone here had any experience with an easy workflow going from Premiere Pro to Apple Color and back to Premiere Pro?
I know there are plenty of other applications/plugins to use for grading but I prefer Color, but I also am liking what I'm seeing from Premiere Pro lately. But I'm not seeing an easy way to use them together.

Any luck anyone?

Perhaps FCP X will make this a moot point...
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2011, 05:59 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Premiere Pro to Apple Color and back

Premiere Pro can export and import FCP XML files, which are accepted by Color, so there should be not much of a problem going there and back. However, not everything is translated in the process, so it works best for raw edit with nothing else but cross fades.
Old June 10th, 2011, 06:20 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I knew about the XML export, which works fine, but the problem is that Color doesn't support all the different flavors of video that Premiere does... here's where I was hoping to hear a success story.
Premiere can edit just about anything without the need to transcode, but in order to grade in Color, you are going to have to transcode anyway unless I am missing something here. If this is the case, you might as well just stay in FCP/Color land.
I thought I already knew the answer to this question, just curious if anyone has ever had success or even tried this workflow direction...
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 07:13 AM   #4
Major Player

Unfortunately, you are correct. We've had similar problem with mp4 files from XDCAM EX camera. FCP can edit it with relatively little problem, but Color requires rewrapping them into MOVs, and preferably converting to ProRes.
Old June 21st, 2011, 12:37 AM   #5
Trustee

it doesn't matter. color doesn't want to read FCP XML from PP. it will either crash or open an empty project, so the rest is moot for now pending a bug fix from adobe

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite