FCP - Playback has turned lazy...any ideas? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 16th, 2011, 03:20 AM   #1
Regular Crew

FCP - Playback has turned lazy...any ideas?

Hello!

I have an issue where pressing play on a timeline in FCP causes it to wait 3-4 second before the footage starts. Nothing needs rendering and footage is nothing special, 1080p ProRes sat in a sequence of exactly the same settings. I've never had this issue in the past, can anyone shed any light as to what may be causing this?

I've got FCP v6.0.6 running on OSX 10.6.7 and. One track of video and one track of WAV audio.

I match sequence settings to my clips, have 12GB of ram, a Drobo with a couple of terabytes free delivering data via eSATA.

The sequence doesn't need rendering, i've got RT set to safe, and low quality playback video set to medium.

Confused!

Neil
Neil Rostance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2011, 10:24 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: FCP - Playback has turned lazy...any ideas?

Neil

I was having some latency issues recently where clicking on the menu bar or initiating play on the timeline would give a bit of a delay before anything would happen. Also caused some issues with multi-cam sequences.

The problem ended up having to do with some plug-ins that were installed in the Motions Template folder under library/application support/final cut studio/motion/templates.

I just moved the files out to another folder on my system drive and that returned my system to 'nornal'.

You may want to check out FCS Maintenance pack from Digital Rebellion at digitalrebellion.com. I've found it to be a hand suite of tools for tweaking and cleaning up some issues related to FCS. Don't forget to also check and repair your permissions!

Good luck.
Old June 20th, 2011, 07:17 AM   #3
Regular Crew

This is great advice, thanks a lot!
Neil Rostance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 07:26 AM   #4
Major Player

Neil,

I solved that problem instantly by turning off Time Machine in the prefs - switch it off while editing and switch it back on when you are done.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite