DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 21st, 2011, 12:22 PM   #1
Go Go Godzilla

Mac Forward: Keep a copy of 10.6.7

After just some very basic testing of Lion with my suite of apps I've quickly deduced that this hybrid OS/iOS interface is very, very quirky.

Flash enabled pages run like molasses.
Reverse scrolling makes things go wonky even in FCP.
Other users are reporting that certain keyboard shortcuts in FCP make Lion think it's been given a "zoom" command and all the windows either zoom up and become unreadable or, disappear.
The "home" library goes into a hidden folder location making certain preference files think they're constantly being re-set. ugh.

So on my system I've dumped Lion altogether and gone back to 10.6.7 and I'm keeping my system locked until things get sorted out.

And on the new MBP I intend to upgrade to with Thunderbolt? I'm going to wipe Lion off the drive and replace it with my clone of 10.6.7. Take that, you stupid hairball Lion.

This OS is just about as bad a goof-up as FCP X; clearly Apple is has lost their friggin' minds when it comes to pros trying to do work. And the sad part? Win 8 looks no better if not worse.

Newer is definitely not better in this case.
Old July 21st, 2011, 03:34 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Re: Mac Forward: Keep a copy of 10.6.7

Thanks for the report... I RAN out Monday to buy an iMac JUST so I had SOMETHING newer in-house before Lion was foisted on us... couldn't part with the cash for a Mac Pro tower that quickly so I grabbed a 27" iMac instead for the interim... kinda glad I did now...

Thanks for being the guinea pig for all of us...
Old July 21st, 2011, 04:36 PM   #3
Go Go Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
Thanks for the report... I RAN out Monday to buy an iMac JUST so I had SOMETHING newer in-house before Lion was foisted on us... couldn't part with the cash for a Mac Pro tower that quickly so I grabbed a 27" iMac instead for the interim... kinda glad I did now...

Thanks for being the guinea pig for all of us...
Just keep in mind that just because the new Macs ship with Lion doesn't mean you're stuck with it.

If you use Carbon Copy Cloner - or any other method that makes a full clone or DMG file of your entire OS and apps - then all you have to do is reformat the entire drive (which will also wipe that hidden partition in Lion) and install 10.6.x.

The only difference in the hardware with Lion-shipped Macs is a new feature in the mainboard bios that allows for an internet-enabled recovery back to 10.7.0 even if the main drive fails. Other than that all new Macs can run Snow Leopard just as if they shipped with it.

The only snafu *might* be if you were to take your system into the Apple Store for warranty service for a hardware failure they might balk and say, "you don't have the latest software so we don't support your configuration..." or something along those lines. Ugh... the things we pros have to endure just to be taken care of.

And until (or if) Lion gets a serious going-over with patches allowing us to completely turn off all the iOS nonsense I'm staying on Snow Leopard until it's no longer feasible. And I hope that day doesn't come for at least another 2-3 years.
Old July 21st, 2011, 05:31 PM   #4
Major Player

Have you tried turning off the gestures in the Trackpad Systems Settings control panel?
Ed Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 09:08 PM   #5
Go Go Godzilla

I wish that alone would solve all the issues created from having the OS underpinnings changed up, but there are deeper, non-user controllable issues that can't be "fixed" unless patches are installed in the future or, third-party developers adopt their software to deal with this new environment.

Although not nearly as severe or as game-changing as the transformation from OS 9 to OS X, the core-code change-up in Lion for seemingly simple things like the users home folder being moved - and somewhat hidden - is really causing serious usability problems with a ton of apps, most especially professional software that's been setup to specifically look for and use home-user folders in a certain way.

Lion is great upgrade for those who love and use the iPhone/iPad and are mostly general consumer-users but once again pros are dealing with major headaches trying to get something "new" to stop causing the blues.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 12:24 PM   #6
Regular Crew

The MP and MBP I use for work will stay with FCP7 and 10.6.8 for some time.
I'm going through FCPX tutorials and will install it on my Mac Mini at home first with 10.6.8 until I'm comfortable using it and satisfied it's a reliable combination. When I get to that stage I'll use FCPX on the work machines with Snow Leopard.

I won't even be trying to play with Lion until 10.7.1 minimum, likely later. Especially because of all the issues with Adobe's suite. Right now I have a setup that works, and I need it to work. I just don't have the time (or patience) to take on a brand new editing paradigm AND and new OS together, while troubleshooting both. The new features in Lion don't have me that excited that I can't wait for them. At least with Snow Leopard I know the OS and how it behaves.

Good luck, and thank you, to those of you brave and motivated folks who are doing the hard work of ironing out Apple's new products for the benefit of us all. :)
Jordan Hooper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite