DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Need Help! Squished PSD Files in Final Cut (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/498757-need-help-squished-psd-files-final-cut.html)

Jamie Baughman July 22nd, 2011 11:31 PM

Need Help! Squished PSD Files in Final Cut

Hi there folks,

I'm doing a project now and for the first time I'm using photoshop to create graphics. I usually use Live Type but have been asked by a client to use PSD. I've uploaded a psd file and it looks like I'm using an incorrect aspect ration or something in my psd file setup. Any ideas? I also brought up the sequence settings in hopes that someone could recommend the proper settings in photoshop.

Thanks

Bill Davis July 22nd, 2011 11:38 PM

Re: Need Help! Squished PSD Files in Final Cut

Do a web search on "non-square pixels" and read up.

That should help you get the aspect ratio correct when importing from square to non-square pixel environments.

Jamie Baughman July 23rd, 2011 09:56 AM

Thanks Bill,

Should have known! Something strange though...not sure if you can shed any light.

Here's what's happening now.

1) Create psd with pixel aspect ratio
2) Create psd
3) import into final cut
4) All good so far
5) Since the content varies little from slide to slide, I "save as" in psd and create a new slide
6) Insert that slide into final cut and I'm back to squished.

Any thoughts?

Bill Davis July 31st, 2011 03:52 PM

Sorry I didn't see this earlier.

I don't do my graphics in PshP unless I'm forced by client work flows.

Nothing at all against the Photoshop, it's rich reputation is well-deserved, it's just gotten too big, cumbersome, and EXPENSIVE for me to keep up with - and most of my graphics come from art directors who are the Photoshop "pros" in the content chain I normally work with.

I typically use OmniGraffle or GraphicsConverter for the graphics manipulation I require, since they're both VERY robust, well supported programs (if much, much less "feature rich") at a small FRACTION of the cost of the big Adobe program and "suites."

If I see "pixel squishing" on the import of anything, I just stretch to compensate (typically in GC) and go about my work. The ratios are readily available on the net.

Simple as that.

Paul E. Coleman August 7th, 2011 09:16 AM

Check both the PS > "Save As" settings, maybe something's changed there on export. And sometimes FCP resizes things to fit your sequence. Once in the sequence, open the clip in the viewer and check that the: motion tab > distort > Aspect Ratio settings haven't magically changed.

If you have the liberty of starting from scratch, and you didn't already... use a preset template in PS for Film video that matches your sequence settings: square pixels, 0.9 sized pixels, etc.