DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 24th, 2005, 06:30 AM   #1
Major Player

Disc Image Quality

My understanding of a disc image is that it is a copy of a disc and will remain in tact just as a physical disc will. The reason I post this message is because my boss thinks that the disc image we have saved of our demo reel, recently started losing quality and having interlacing problems when burned to DVD. Is this possible? I think he is just noticing artifacts and other things that he didn't notice before.

We archive all of our DVD SP 3 projects for clients this way. If a disc image can lose quality (which I think impossible) we need to archive in a different way.

TIA, Dave
Old August 24th, 2005, 05:03 PM   #2
Major Player

If the disc image is saved on a Hard Drive, the likelyhood of it causing the video quality to degrade is minimal. But it is "technically" possible to lose bits of data over time as blocks on the Hard Drive go bad. But it most likely would be so minimal and so spaced out that it wouldn't be visible, you would have to be having a major Hard Drive failure.

If the disc image is saved on a DVD-ROM, then it is much more likely that parts of the data are being lost or that the disc has become scratched.

In the end, you are probably right, and simply having watched it so many times your boss is now noticing the artifacts.
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 05:20 PM   #3
Wrangler

The only explanation I can think of is that you are somehow recompressing the data and losing quality that way. I doubt that's happening if an image of the data is just getting copied to the DVD, but I don't know much about how DVD burning software works.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite