DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 13th, 2011, 01:55 AM   #1
Tourist

DVD Studio Pro 4

Crashes when just "looking" into a directory with mixed movie formats. If the directory only contains MOV formatted movies all OK but add any other format and DVD SP crashes. Does anyone have any experience with why this could happen?

Mac Book Pro, OS 10.6.8, DVD Studio Pro 4

Thanks for any input.
Mike Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 10:00 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: DVD Studio Pro 4

I would advise you to convert everything to dvd-ready files (.ac3 and .m2v) in compressor, which is made for converting things, instead of dvd studio pro. I think then you'll have less trouble.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 11:55 PM   #3
Tourist

Re: DVD Studio Pro 4 crashing

What I am running into is this.

Start a new project and DVD SP sets up a default map in the Video tab to the "Movies" directory. Forget about importing, correct formats, codecs or whatever, this has to do with DVD SP and how it deals with directories that contain mixed formats. This is just a program "looking" in a directory, in this case the Movies directory on any standard Mac, and accepting or not what is in there.

Example: open Excel, FCP, iTunes, Text Editor or whatever and direct it to your Movie directory. I bet 10:1 they do not crap all over themselves and crash. Well this is exactly what DVD SP is doing for me. I am just cruising a directory that has mixed formatted files in it and it crashes every time!

I understand there are correct formats to use and not use. The very obvious work around is to only access directories with approved formats. Well on a computer this is like pissing in the wind, eventually it will get in your eyes! I am just talking about a program running on a Mac and while cruising directories it crashes.

Does anyone have experience with this? If so what was done, if anything, to fix it.

Also, does anyone know how to delete the default mapping of the Movies directory in the Video tab? If I could delete it permanently there would be less chance of crashing a project!

And no I am not going to clean out my Movies directory just to please DVD SP. It contains content for my iPhone, iPad, iTunes, Vimeo and a host of other film festival distributions! Stuff just lands there and I don't believe I have to police it.

For now I am going with my work around and avoiding the "Movies" icon like it has the plague!

I hope someone can help.
Mike Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 11:10 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Re: DVD Studio Pro 4

Two suggestions: The first is easy, switch DVDSP to advanced mode, import your files in the "assets" tab and don't ever select the video tab in the palette. The second is that you need to run a disk directory maintenance program like DiskWarrior or Tech Tools to see if there's some sort of problem that DVDSP is reacting to. DVDSP runs a file analyzer on potential assets which besides being annoying when it's doing it to everything in the Movies folder, corrupted or oddball codec movie files can cause a crash.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite