Has anyone installed just Motion 5 and Compressor 4 to use with FCP 7? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 14th, 2011, 05:00 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Has anyone installed just Motion 5 and Compressor 4 to use with FCP 7?

I read this article on how to install FCP X on the same partition as FCP 7:
Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, Compressor 4: Installation best practices

But, all I'm interested in right now is an upgrade to Motion 5 and maybe Compressor. Has anyone done this?

I'm on Snow Leopard. TIA
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 05:46 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Has anyone installed just Motion 5 and Compressor 4 to use with FCP 7?

I'm really interested in this too. I'm too stupid to learn FCPX but would like to upgrade Motion and compressor and still use FCP7. Also on Snow Leopard. Getting ready to start three new projects and could use help now.
Denise Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 05:14 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I believe I've read that Motion 5 and Compressor 4 will not work with FCP 7, only FCP X. Also, Compressor 4 is not supposed to be much of an upgrade from the last version, still 32 bit. However, I am still using FCS3 and have not purchased any of the new programs, and do not intend to do so, so I could be wrong.
Kevin Wolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 10:37 AM   #4
Go Go Godzilla

None of the FCP X versions of the FCP suite are compatible with FCP 7.

But even if they were it would be a non-event to get them; Motion only saw a *minimal* update and Compressor had zero - as in no changes to it whatsoever, so neither would be worth the "upgrade".

If you really want a true upgrade path for editing on a Mac I'd highly suggest looking into Production Premium CS5.5. Unfortunately the big 50%-off Adobe sale has now ended but I suspect it may be coming back soon as Adobe will be a major player at the next Filmmakers Workshop that I'm hosting. Too many people wanted to jump on the sale but missed it and tons of emails are flooding in about bringing back the sale.
Old August 18th, 2011, 02:33 AM   #5
Major Player

Adobe 50% sale is valid through September, isn't it?

Motion 5 has a great feature in rigging the effects, although I doubt you will be able to use it anywhere apart from FCPX.
Old August 18th, 2011, 06:39 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Thanks all. I have zero interest in Adobe.

Ignoring the new FCP X integrated features, I read that Motion 5 has a new keyer, 64-biit architecture, color sync and a bunch more internal stuff that would be worth the $50. But if the only FCP 7 integration is rendering out to a Movie, then forget it.

Similarly, non-FCP X features in Compressor were at least some encoding support and batch templates.... but if it breaks it's FCP 7 integration, then forget it.
Old August 18th, 2011, 09:39 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I have to respectfully disagree with this. I upgraded to the new Motion and Compression, even though I'm still using FCP 7. Here's why...

It's true there's no round-tripping with these new apps. You need to send files manually from one to the other using the finder. However, I find the new Motion faster, and it has some killer new features, like an awesome keyer that's faster than anything in previous versions, and delivers great results.

The new compressor updates the old 'qmaster' system which never worked correctly on my system. The new system has never crashed on me and seems to be working flawlessly. In addition, the new compressor has lots of new presets for new Internet workflows.

To be honest, if it was hundreds of dollars, I likely would't have upgraded...but at less than $100 for both apps, it was a no-brainer...

Best,

Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane View Post
None of the FCP X versions of the FCP suite are compatible with FCP 7.

But even if they were it would be a non-event to get them; Motion only saw a *minimal* update and Compressor had zero - as in no changes to it whatsoever, so neither would be worth the "upgrade".

If you really want a true upgrade path for editing on a Mac I'd highly suggest looking into Production Premium CS5.5. Unfortunately the big 50%-off Adobe sale has now ended but I suspect it may be coming back soon as Adobe will be a major player at the next Filmmakers Workshop that I'm hosting. Too many people wanted to jump on the sale but missed it and tons of emails are flooding in about bringing back the sale.
Ben Freedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 10:42 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Ben, we seem to be thinking along the same lines about Motion and Compressor. Can you insert motion 5 files in the timeline (like Motion 4) and if you edit the animation, FCP 7 detects it and re-renders?
Old August 19th, 2011, 11:16 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I am using Compressor 4 with both versions of FCP and it's a better program. Certain codecs are incredibly fast now. Qmaster is under control. You might have to rebuild some older Compressor 3 presets from scratch as they are not there anymore but that is not hard. No experience with Motion to FCP 7.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 03:35 PM   #10
Major Player

Ben, You shouldn't disagree with the Adobe salesman!
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite