DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 15th, 2011, 02:56 PM   #1
Major Player

AVCHD import doesn't work with FCP 6.0.6

Camera is a Sony HDR-CX700VE, file format 1080 50p, I'm trying to import directly from the camcorder, so the file structure is intact.

It's weird because I tried the workflow before on another Mac but with the same Version of FCP (6.0.6) and the exact same camcorder and settings, and it worked flawlessly. No updates nor codecs needed, it just worked.

And now I'm sitting here in a hotel room with really slow WLAN, trying to import some B-camera shots to a MacBook and FCP 6.0.6 tells me that the clips are not supported and/or the filestructure is damaged (which it is not, because I'm importing directly from the camcorders internal flash memory and I didn't delete any files or folders)

I'm trying a Mac System Update now (maybe some new codecs?) but it takes like 3 hours with this connection. Is there anything else I can try?
Heiko Saele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 12:44 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: AVCHD import doesn't work with FCP 6.0.6

Nothing worked so far, but I am now downloading the trial version of Premiere CS5 - I read that Media Encoder is able to transcode AVCHD files to different formats in the highest possible quality.
I tried a handful of other AVCHD transcoders but I wasn't satisfied with any of them

Unfortunately the download of Premiere trial takes around 12 hours on this hotel connection, so I have to be patient...
Heiko Saele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 12:59 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Why are you insisting on editing natively in AVCHD?

Your workflow will be hampered by doing so. Common practise is to transcode to a ProRes codec.
Jordan Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2011, 08:11 PM   #4
Go Go Godzilla

You have to download the plug-in from Sony that allows FCP to transcode it into ProRes using Log & Transfer.
Old March 18th, 2012, 01:07 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Hooper View Post
Why are you insisting on editing natively in AVCHD?

Your workflow will be hampered by doing so. Common practise is to transcode to a ProRes codec.
In Premiere Pro your workflow is not hampered at all. AVCHD ,"Cuts like butter".

Does anyone have the link to a plug in or update to transfer XA10 AVCHD footage into FCP6.06?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite