DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Converting footage for a Mac user (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/500466-converting-footage-mac-user.html)

Chris Davis September 8th, 2011 08:20 AM

Converting footage for a Mac user

I shot some footage for a non-profit. They have a guy on-staff who's going to edit using Final Cut Express 4.0.1.

The files are AVCHD MTS and M2T. He says he cannot use those. What do I need to convert them to, and what software should I use?

I use Windows and have the following:

Adobe Premiere CS5
Adobe After Effects CS5
Sony Vegas 9.0
QuickTime Pro 7.7

Thanks!

William Hohauser September 8th, 2011 01:23 PM

Re: Converting footage for a Mac user

First of all he could get MPEGStreamclip for free and convert the mt2 files to AIC. The AVCHD files I am not sure.

If your version of QuickTime can convert to Apple Intermediate Codec then do it, otherwise DVCProHD is a good bet. Apple's ProRes codec is the best bet but somebody else will have to chime in to say if either you can output it or Final Cut Express can read it.

Shaun Roemich September 8th, 2011 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Hohauser (Post 1680706)
Apple's ProRes codec is the best bet but somebody else will have to chime in to say if either you can output it or Final Cut Express can read it.

Good catch, William. Not for FCE. Apple Intermediate Codec is the best choice for Chris.

PS. Hi Chris!

Chris Davis September 9th, 2011 08:14 AM

Thanks guys (hi Shawn!) but I'd really like to know if there's anything I can do with the tools I have. QuickTime apparently won't write to AIC (or even open MTS/M2T files.)

I can easily render to H264/MP4 format from Premier. Will that work in FCE4?

Rob Wood September 9th, 2011 09:06 AM

How about Avid DNxHD codec? High-quality, Mac/PC.

Avid - Avid QuickTime Codecs LE 2.3.2 Download
Scroll down to the title DOWNLOADS (ignore the earlier version of 2.2.1) where you'll find links for Mac & PC versions (2.3.2)

"These codecs are designed to run on Snow Leopard v.10.6.3 and higher, Vista Business and Ultimate 64 bit, with SP2, Windows 7 Professional, and Windows XP Professional with SP3."

William Hohauser September 9th, 2011 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Davis (Post 1680842)
Thanks guys (hi Shawn!) but I'd really like to know if there's anything I can do with the tools I have. QuickTime apparently won't write to AIC (or even open MTS/M2T files.)

I can easily render to H264/MP4 format from Premier. Will that work in FCE4?

You can download MPEGStreamclip yourself and try to export to friendly HD QuickTime. H264 will not work in FCE but he can take that footage and convert it himself with MPEGStreamclip.

I think Premier on a PC can export QuickTime.

Chris Davis September 11th, 2011 10:21 PM

Thanks guys. He was able to convert the M2T footage to AIC using MPEGStreamclip, and I rendered the MTS footage as H264 which will also convert using MPEGStreamclip. All is well now.