DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 11th, 2011, 05:39 AM   #1
Major Player

final cut studio are you on iMac or mac pro

Ive had my mac pro now for 3 years and im looking to upgrade, is anyone in the wedding business editing on Final cut on the Imac, or is a Mac pro the way to go again. For me its been a work horse.

Regards

Luke
Luke Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011, 10:12 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: final cut studio are you on iMac or mac pro

Are you using a Macbook Pro or a full Mac Pro tower.

If it is the full tower you may wish to investigate RAM and video card upgrades first. You may also consider changing edit package as Final Cut 7 cannot use more than 2 CPU cores and is based on 32 bit technology. Even if you upgrade your hardware you still won't be able to harness all of the power because, Compressor aside, Final Cut Studio is now feeling its age.

Premiere on my 3 year old Mac Pro tower feels a totally different experience from FCP 7 because it can actually use the 64 bit hardware and all the CPU cores. Throw in some more RAM and a Quadro video card and it feels like a new machine.

Last edited by Marcus Durham; September 11th, 2011 at 02:16 PM.
Marcus Durham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011, 01:51 PM   #3
Trustee

Re: final cut studio are you on iMac or mac pro

Have to second that comment. I'm on a 3 year old Mac pro and while I bought it with 16gb ram, the video card will be my upgrade as I already own cs5.5 production premium. Still runs FCP as fast as it could possibly go. The card is about $700 vs a newer Mac pro. And btw, my machine still runs faster than one friends brand new iMac and another friends 6month old MacBook pro. Hard to beat 8 cores and 16gb ram!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite