capture dv as hd? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 26th, 2005, 01:10 PM   #1
Tourist

capture dv as hd?

im sure this has been discussed before, but i couldnt find any threads when i searched. what will happen, in final cut, if i capture my dv footage using hd settings? it seems as though the footage would be distorted because of the difference in aspect ratio. so what would happen if i shot with an in camera fake widescreen mode, and then captured it as hd? if the timeline were anamorphic would it just really mess up my videos aspect ratios? i was hoping that with the increased resoulution, the original letterbox would be gone because the actual video would fill the anamorphic frame. basically, i was curious if it would uprez correctly to hd so that way if i watched it on a hdtv it would fill the screen.

ugh that sounds dumb and unclear, but any help, tips, suggestions would be appreciated.

by the way, would this just be the long way to acheive the same effect as increasing the size by 33%?

perhaps i should just get an anamorphic adapter...

thanks,
adam
Adam Eugenio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 01:15 PM   #2
Wrangler

I don't think that's possible. You have to capture as DV, then up-rez if that's what you want. FCP isn't very good at scaling video however. Letterboxed video has limited resolution to begin with - only 360 vertical lines.

Here's a way to turn letterbox into anamorphic, but just realize, garbage in = garbage out :-)

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=44700
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite