DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Why is the subclip name not the marker name when i drag the marker to a new bin? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/500797-why-subclip-name-not-marker-name-when-i-drag-marker-new-bin.html)

Noam Osband September 17th, 2011 11:49 AM

Why is the subclip name not the marker name when i drag the marker to a new bin?

I have an interview that I marked up with markers. I then dragged them to a bin to create subclips, but most of the clips have lost the names they should have - the name of the marker - and instead have taken the name of the larger clip that they come from. This is not true of every marker. anyone know why this is happening?

Shaun Roemich September 17th, 2011 12:13 PM

Re: Why is the subclip name not the marker name when i drag the marker to a new bin?

Basically because markers in FCP have NEVER worked right.

Not what you wanted to hear, I know.

Wish Apple would have spent more time fixing stuff that matters instead of...

Never mind...

Les Wilson September 18th, 2011 04:50 AM

Re: Why is the subclip name not the marker name when i drag the marker to a new bin?

1 Attachment(s)
When I drag the markers from a clip to a bin, I get subclips for each marked section named "marker x from clipname" as shown in the attached. Even when I name the marker. Are you saying you don't get the "marker x"" part?

Noam Osband September 18th, 2011 11:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I attached a screen shot that shows the problem. You can see my clip and see markers with names. Above the master clip, you see the subclips that were created when I hit Command-U. This will happen if I do this or if I simply drag the markers. But, as you see, the name is not the name of the marker. It's the name of the clip with the word "subclip" at the end.

Thought? This is so frustrating. It was working fine before and now it seems like something has changed, some preference I didnt even know I could change.

Les Wilson September 19th, 2011 06:52 AM

This is a stretch but the double quote character might be triggering a bug. Is this the first time your've used it in a marker name?

Noam Osband September 19th, 2011 08:29 AM

Well, I just made a marker with one word for the name and it worked fine...........but now I just made a subclip out of this marker name, one that also has no quotation marks, and it didnt work. Everything below this line is the marker name. It's a translation of the clip. Perhaps other special characters are problem, like brackets?

maria: when she was 2 years old. She's gone to school, she speaks english. Here at home she used to speak a lot of english. Everthing, everything in english. At a certain point, i liked it, i used to tell myself my girl speaks [00:02:15.05] m: english, which is something that I couldn't do. But then we thought to ourselves, and we reacted, we told ourselves,she goes to school and learns it. She's too young. What we should be teaching her is spanish because she will forget it and [00:02:30.07] m: i said from the door in, spanish. From door out, whatever you want because what we ingrained her (him?) with is where she's from...and our cultures

Les Wilson September 19th, 2011 04:03 PM

Well given the evidence that the double quotes change the behavior, it's not such a stretch after all. I'd bag the question mark, colons and brackets. I don't know if it's an option with your workflow but I'll bet the whole thing quotes and everything will survive nicely in the Log Notes field rather than the clipname.