G-Raid or no G-Raid - Page 2 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 21st, 2011, 11:28 AM   #16
Inner Circle
Re: G-Raid or no G-Raid

The recommendations that RAID-0 arrays are necessary for video editing date back many years to when disk performance was far below what it is today. Personally I would much rather use higher performance drives in a RAID-1 array than lower performance 'Green' drives in a RAID-0 array. Using RAID-0 doubles your chances of losing data due to a single disk failure while RAID-1 prevents data loss due to a single disk failure.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2011, 04:27 PM   #17
Re: G-Raid or no G-Raid

Totally agree with you there Nigel but in two years I haven't lost a frame with my three disc raid 0 system and have had the benefit of the disc speed needed for my P2 AVC Intra 100 based shooting workflow.

The ideal is to get a raid 5 external array but like all systems they need to be specified in advance to take into account what is needed rather than buying what you think you need and then finding out that it doesn't suit your specified workflow!

Just look at disc based sony camera's people are not tending to use them and their second hand value is ziltch!
Over 15 minutes in Broadcast Film and TV production: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1044352/
Gary Nattrass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

Omega Broadcast
(512) 251-7778
Austin, TX

(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

(800) 238-8480
Glendale, CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite