DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 14th, 2011, 01:01 PM   #1
Major Player

Fixing Blemish in Interviewees Nose

I have a project I'm working on where the interviewee, who is framed in a close up shot, has a noticeable booger (sorry for the gross word) in their nose and I'm worried it will be distracting for viewers. The area in their nose is very black so it really stands out.

Is there a program that I can use to fix this without having to go frame by frame? Maybe a program that I can tell to mirror the black area in their nose to the above mentioned spot? The clip is pretty long (40 seconds or so) and I cannot cover it with images or footage because of the nature of the interview; I have no choice but to show the clip in its entirety.

I even tried to use the DH_Reincarnation plugin to see if it would possibly see the "bad spot" as a dead pixel but it didn't work.....Any ideas?

Last edited by Oliver Darden; October 14th, 2011 at 05:16 PM.
Oliver Darden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2011, 02:28 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Fixing Blemish in Interviewees Nose

This sort of fix requires tracking to fix, in FCS that means you'd have to use Motion. what you'd do is grab a section of the other nostril, mirror it, feather the edge to help it blend, then track it to the shot so that it moves as the interviewees head moves. Their is a tracker in motion in FCS3 (not sure about 2) so if you have studio 3 search for tutorials on using trackers in motion, you should find something out there to show you how to do this.
Old October 15th, 2011, 12:53 AM   #3
Major Player

You might also want to try Neat Video's noise reducer with the settings high enough to remove dark spots/freckles/nose-aliens...etc. It will soften the image overall, so you might experiment with layering the resulting soft shot over the original and masking only the cleaned area back in. Using a soft edge mask, you might get acceptable results and wouldn't have to keyframe the effect.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2011, 08:28 PM   #4
Major Player

Never even opened Motion before Craig but I will def check out some tutorials on tracking in motion.

Oren, that sounds intriguing, I will download the demo and give it a try.

Thanks Guys.
Oliver Darden is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite