DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Colour temp differences in QT 7 versus QT X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/501668-colour-temp-differences-qt-7-versus-qt-x.html)

Jase Tanner October 16th, 2011 11:23 AM

Colour temp differences in QT 7 versus QT X

When FCS 3 came out it was simultaneous to the release of QT X, at least as I recall it. Of course when I installed FCS I chose the option to install QT 7. Since then I've always opened any final products (usually h.264) in QT 7. Yesterday I was doing some camera tests (trying to match 2 cameras) This time, when I was done, I opened the h.264 output in QT X. I didn't notice it at first, but a side by side comparison quickly showed that opening in QT X did not match the colour temp of neither the FCP timeline nor the QT 7 output, (FCP and QT 7 did match each other) QT X was decidedly cooler,

My questions.

1. Did I simply miss that this issue was once of the concerns with QT X, (along with it not having a pro version.)?

2. More importantly, even if I set my QuickTimes to open in 7, what happens to the file when I send it to someone else if they have QT X and not 7. Does it open in X or do they need to install 7?

3. Even if they have both, will it automatically open in 7?

4. Does the answer to this differ depending on the end user being Mac or PC.

Thanks

Jordan Hooper October 16th, 2011 10:34 PM

Re: Colour temp differences in QT 7 versus QT X

I hadn't noticed the issue you describe. I use QT7 as my default application for audio and video files which is the determining factor for which application opens video. By default most Macs will use QTX. Not sure what a PC will use.

The most reliable way to share video for any system would be through YouTube (or the others, Vimeo, etc).

Even if you change which application opens video on your system it will not tell other computers to use that application. It will open with their default application.

Jase Tanner October 16th, 2011 11:11 PM

Hi Jordan

Have you tried this on your system and noticed the same? What I wonder about is whether there is a glitch in mine or if this really is a difference between the 2 programs.

Often I'm sending these for people's approval so the YoutTube/Vimeo idea isn't the best. I'm going to go back and look at some earlier work and see if others all like that.

Makes sense the default program of the computer would open a video. A bit of wishful thinking on my part to think it might not be that way. So clients, at least in some cases, haven't been seeing what I've be seeing. At least no ones complained. And I should say that at least with this one piece, actually a camera test, its not that either one looks bad but just different.

Craig Parkes October 17th, 2011 03:37 AM

Clients almost never see what you see, different screens, players, calibration, lighting conditions etc all can have a massive impact. To your main question, quicktime (all versions) is notorious for gamma issues which could be they cause of your problem. This is due to how it interprets and transforms different materials and makes assumptions on what the right gamma should be based on the format (stemming from when Macs had a default 1.8 gamma instead of 2.2)

Jase Tanner October 18th, 2011 09:58 PM

Thanks for the reply Craig. Although I wasn't exactly thinking about it at the time of posting, I understand about clients not seeing what I see.

Without being overly caught up in semantics though, you said "To your main question, quicktime (all versions) is notorious for gamma issues which could be they cause of your problem."

What I'm still wanting to know is whether this particular manifestation of Mac gamma issues is only my problem or if others have found the exact same thing. I think you're saying the latter but I am fishing for a solution if such a thing exists, as unlikely as that seems.

Thanks