Advise Please: Client wants smaller HD file than I can deliver? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 2nd, 2011, 04:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Advise Please: Client wants smaller HD file than I can deliver?

Wasn't sure where to post this. We did this in FCP so I figured I'd post it here.

I just finished a 1 minute promo/comercial for a photographer. Its a 750mb .mov file.
My client is building a website using bludomain.com flash based template service.

She says they won't allow a .mov file bigger than 50mb?! Sounds ridiculous to me.

Does anyone have any solutions? I told her to upload the file to vimeo and embed it, but she doesn't want to do that. Seems to me Bludomain is worthless.
Caleb Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2011, 06:03 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Advise Please: Client wants smaller HD file than I can deliver?

750MB is an awfully large file to upload. Overkill for internet HD video. I'm surprised they didn't teach that at film school.

Anyway, run it through Compressor. The Vimeo site gives good recommendations for what compression parameters to use. If I calculate it right you can go as high as 6600K bitspersecond data rate and still fit a 60 second video in 50MB. Time to read up on compression for delivery.

Last edited by Les Wilson; November 2nd, 2011 at 09:02 PM. Reason: mistakenly said minute instead of seconds
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2011, 06:55 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
I calculate it right you can go as high as 6600K bitspersecond data rate and still fit a 60 minute video in 50MB. Time to read up on compression for delivery.
I trust you meant 60 SECONDS of video. 60 minutes in 50MB... Not likely...
Old November 2nd, 2011, 07:02 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Shau and Les...I'll try that.

Most of what I learned in film school was all based on minidv. I learned on Canon XL1's and pdx170. No HD then. Did get to do a little bit of 8mm stuff. But in all we never learned about file sizes for web.
All of my other clients got DVD or imbeded video. Ah well...I learned something.
Caleb Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2011, 09:03 PM   #5
Inner Circle

@Shaun. you are correct. thanks. I edited my post.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2011, 12:08 PM   #6
Major Player

Caleb, you probably have finished this project, but I wanted to point out a few things for other readers.

Compressor 4 has a few settings for what it calls "video sharing services." Basically, it's just H.264 in an MOV wrapper with audio set to AAC.

One thing to consider for internet delivery, and why embedding Vimeo into a website is much better: there is no HTML5 standard. Firefox wants it one way, and Chrome and Safari and even IE want it another. Unless you plan to give them all formats (mp4, fly, ogg, etc), I find it best for non-web folk to use something like Vimeo or YouTube for online video management.

What do I do? Our company goes the HTML5 route providing mov's with h.264 and make Firefox play it with a Flash fallback. They are the only ones bucking the H.264 route right now, and I'd rather have touch devices play my content nicely.

If anyone needs to dig deeper, check out VideoJS tips:
HTML5 Video Player | VideoJS

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite