DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Anyone still burning DVD's? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/503031-anyone-still-burning-dvds.html)

David Chapman November 26th, 2011 11:56 AM

Anyone still burning DVD's?

I made a DVD today. It's been about 3 years since I had the need, but dang it DVD Studio Pro worked quickly and no problems on Lion (even with FCPX and Compressor 4 installed).

Just thought I'd throw this one in there:
If you are making 16:9 content on a SD DVD, the best option is 16:9 Letterbox (vs Pan and Scan and both).

Les Wilson November 26th, 2011 03:44 PM

Re: Anyone still burning DVD's?

Yes. It's still a popular distribution scheme in less connected areas and for repeat presentation such as classrooms. IMHO

William Hohauser November 26th, 2011 04:16 PM

DVDs everyday. BluRays once a month at most. Internet or server files, a couple of times a week.

Ed Fiebke November 26th, 2011 09:18 PM

Yes. . . burn DVDs more often than I wish I was. Also "print" on top of them with my trusty Epson Stylus Photo R200 ink-jet printer. One. . . at. . . a. . . time. . .

The burning and the ink-jet printing is my least favorite part of the "production" process.

Someday I'll purchase one of those multi-burn-and-print burner/printer thingys.

While still working with standard definition video, Apple's DVD Studio Pro has been very good to me. :-)

David Chapman November 27th, 2011 10:25 AM

I just hate seeing how any footage or animation looks on an SD DVD. I think MPEG-2 is horrible.

But, thank goodness we can still make them if we need to.

William Hohauser November 27th, 2011 10:43 AM

Shouldn't look bad. I frequently create DVDs for projection in movie theaters and they look as good as DV tape if the compression is kept low.

Mark Ahrens November 29th, 2011 06:10 AM

All the time. I avoid the hassle of Studio Pro and simply use Compressor's direct to dvd or AVCHD with custom title screen. I have a call for one off burns down the road, so i go to disc.img and burn with toast (for SD dvds) - adding ROM files in the Toast step as needed.
I'm happy with the workflow, as i don't have a stockpiled library of physical dvds hogging my shelves like i used to. I wish i could do the same for AVCHD dvds.

I've been on the fence with getting a proper BluRay burner and media . . . most projects are less than 30 minutes and the AVCHD dvds look great and couldn't be easier.

Daniel Epstein November 29th, 2011 09:37 PM

Actually burned a few recently and found using Compressor to make the DVD file was much better looking than letting DVD Studio Pro do the conversion. Source was DVCPRO HD and had a lot fewer artifacts with compressor than DVD Studio Pro conversion. Workflow is slower but seems much cleaner.

Mark Ahrens November 30th, 2011 06:53 AM

Compressor's much faster too!

Brian David Melnyk December 1st, 2011 02:43 AM

unfortunately, yes.
Just burned a test DVD of beautiful 5D footage (FCP>Compressor>DVDSP) that looked wonderful when played on the computer> 32" HDTV hooked up as a monitor.
and then i played it through a DVD player> HDTV (not HDMI).
and then i cried.

Taky Cheung December 1st, 2011 03:00 AM

Still doing it! For my wedding customers, with professional designed DVDs and Blurays, the brides can relate their wedding DVD as hollywood movies. =)

Tom Hardwick December 1st, 2011 03:19 AM

Me too - I love DVDs. Really cheap, really reliable, easily printed, you can post them for peanuts, they can be played anywhere, by anyone, in the car, laptop, desktop, under the TV. The word ubiquitous sings with the letters DVD.

Not so with BD. It sure looks better but but only if you can play it. The b & g may want a BD, but all their guests want DVD, that's for sure.

So what's not to like? Upscaled into a big 1080 TV DVDs can look just wonderful.

tom.