DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 8th, 2011, 12:52 AM   #1
Major Player

FCP7 workflow HD to SD scaling with zoom

I have to make a showreel for some dancers. I filmed them in 1080p25.
I converted it to cineform using Remaster (I'm working on OSx Snow Leopard). I can use Prores using MPEG streamclip if needed.

I setup a project with custom 854x480 (for youtube 480p). I deselected User Preferences -> Editing -> Always scale clips to project size

I used the wireframe to resize the clips and move them so the dancers were filling up the frame (that was requested of me).

Now I hit the various problems that FCP has with scaling - aliasing artifacts.
People have posted that its better to use the scaling algorithms from MPEG Streamclip and other tools.

Unfortunately as I am doing a zoom and move in the same frame, I am stuck using FCP as an editor - unless someone shows me another tool where this could be done.

So how do I avoid FCPs crappy downscaling algorithms and manage to finish this frustratingly long project ?
Old December 8th, 2011, 07:15 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: FCP7 workflow HD to SD scaling with zoom

Same suggestion I offered in the other forum: Complete the project as an HD project, using caution when choosing fonts for titles and such, and perform the downsizing from the completed, exported HD 'master' -- at a minimum this will free you to try different settings and tools in your quest for 'good' downsizing.

GB
R Geoff Baker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite