DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   FCP 6 on latest iMacs? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/505016-fcp-6-latest-imacs.html)

Robb Bradstock February 4th, 2012 12:54 PM

FCP 6 on latest iMacs?

My trusty power mac G5 has just bitten the dust. I am planning on getting a new imac which has the Lion os. When I asked the salesman if I could use FCP 6 on it I was told only FCP7 or X would work .Is this true and will I be able to update my FCP 6 projects if I install FCP 7??? Thanks

Simon Wood February 4th, 2012 01:23 PM

Re: FCP 6 on latest iMacs?

Why not get on board the FCPX bandwagon now? The program has matured somewhat now after the initial hoohaa, and it is possible to import FCP7 (and 6) projects to FCPX at this point.

Get the free trial, and buy the Ripple Training videos; you'll never look back to FCP6 or 7 again.

John C. Chu February 4th, 2012 02:24 PM

Final Cut Pro 6 [included with Final Cut Studio 2]is a universal app and will work on Lion 10.7. Unfortunately, the installer itself is PowerPC only. You have to install Rosetta from a 10.6 disc in order to run the installer on your Intel Mac.

I went thru this a couple months back when I bought a Mac Pro. I assume if you did a straight migration, it will copy over the applications for you without having to do the Rosetta install.

Robb Bradstock February 5th, 2012 06:07 AM

Hi Thanks for the reply. I am still a bit confused. if I open a Fcp 6 project which I have exported from My G5 onto the new iMac that has fcp7 installed will I be able to upgrade it or any Fcp 5 or 6 project or will I need the Rosetta program.. Thanks

John C. Chu February 5th, 2012 06:33 AM

Rosetta will be needed to install Final Cut Studio 2 on your Lion OS Macintosh.

If you are going to install Final Cut Studio 3 then it is not needed to install the program.

[I don't have FCP 7-- I will probably make the jump to FCP X.]

It should not be an issue opening FCP 6 projects in FCP 7. [Might be a one way trip though].

Daniel Epstein February 12th, 2012 08:46 AM

Opening FCP 6 projects in FCP 7 is easy just a click and FCP will convert it. If you want to go back to FCP 6 you use XML Type 4 not 5. This works pretty well. If you converted your FCS 2 to Universal then it will be able to install on Intel machines or Power PC. Don't know how well or if FCP 6 runs on Lion as most people have been talking about FCP 7 on Lion. I might have to try it to see.

Robb Bradstock February 13th, 2012 11:27 AM

Thanks for the reply. How do you convert FCS2 to universal ?

Daniel Epstein February 13th, 2012 03:05 PM

Apple had a disc swap upgrade when the change from Power PC to Intel chips happened. You might have a universal version if you bought your FCS 2 late in the cycle. If not you might just have to go to EBay.

Robb Bradstock February 13th, 2012 05:26 PM

Hi again. Is there anyway to tell if it's universal or not on the discs? Thanks

Arnie Schlissel February 14th, 2012 01:23 PM

FCP 6 is universal. It was FCP 5 that required a "cross grade" to go from PPC to Intel.

Robb Bradstock February 14th, 2012 01:49 PM

Great to have cleared that up! Thanks to all for your responses