New SSD, clean install or copied cloned drive? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 18th, 2012, 08:38 PM   #1
Major Player

New SSD, clean install or copied cloned drive?

Not sure about where would be the best place to ask this question, so I'm trying it here.

I have a 2009 Mac Pro (8 core, if it matters). I bought an SSD drive, to replace my boot drive. I cloned my boot drive onto the SSD, and then replaced it. I'm happy with the performance with my system, once it's booted and running. But watching the videos on the OWC website, where I ordered my drive from, their computers are booting much faster, and I think mine actually takes longer with the new SSD.

My question is, anyone who has done this, would you recommend a clean install on the new drive? Or be happy with good performance onces it's booted?

Also, if a clean install is recommend, my Mac originally came with Snow Lepord, and I upgraded to Lion. Once I've reinstalled Snow Lepord, with the Apple App store remember I had previously upgraded, and allow me to upgrade it again for free?

Thanks for any advice,
Jeff
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 06:44 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: New SSD, clean install or copied cloned drive?

good question, have you had this question answered elswhere? if so, please post here, I might do the same with my old mac
Chris Westerstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: New SSD, clean install or copied cloned drive?

Well, I emailed the company that I bought the SSD from. They replied I should go into system preferences and make sure I designated the drive as the boot drive. When I went in there, it was the only drive option I had (even though I have 2 other drives in the computer). So I figured it was already designated, but went through the motions anyways. When it reboot, it took maybe 20 seconds. I shut down, waited a few min, and turned back on. Again it booted in less then a quarter of the time it was taking.

I can only guess that the computer was looking for the original drive, and not finding it, would eventually boot from the clone. Now I've told it the original is gone and the clone is it, so it must skip the looking process.

But all is great now.
Jeff
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite