DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 2nd, 2012, 04:27 PM   #1
Major Player

Recommended format

Hey all...

I'm pretty well scratching my head, as to what format a final cut user would be okay with.

I've captured 5 MiniDV tapes (wedding event), with each tape being pretty well filled.
It was taped in HDV mode with 1080@30p.
I'm hoping to hand over the footage on 5 separate DVD's as any data that is cuttable to an amateur user.

What format can final cut users recommend?
I've got AME CS4 at my disposal.

My instinct was to simply hand him Mpeg2 files filling up each DVD. But since this isn't an option within quicktime, i'm guessing no.
I can use quicktime of course, but am not sure which codec is suitable for filling up a 4.7gig disc? There doesn't seem to be control over the datarates on many of the codec choices.

Thanks.
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 07:05 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Recommended format

Considering that one hour of HDV is 13 to 15 Gbs, each tape would have to be split into 4Gb segments if you are planning to hand off roughly the same quality as you shot. You could make those segments into QuickTime HDV if you had Final Cut yourself otherwise you will have to capture in CS4 and use MPEGStreamclip to convert into a FCP friendly QuickTime format which unfortunately will not fit on 5 DVDs. And without FCP installed you don't have the correct codecs to create a HDV file, only AIC which is about 35gbs per hour or DVCamHD which is large as well.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 09:13 PM   #3
Major Player

Okay thanks..

But the tapes are already HDV.
I'm looking at encoding each tape down to 4.7 gig DVD's as editable footage within Final Cut.
Since it will also be a downconvert (SD), i'm not looking at any subjective issues of bitrate. They get what they get.

I'm simply looking to use the most editable codec on a Final cut system, in where the operator won't have to install any third party codecs, and run with 5 DVD's of footage, for 5 of my tapes.

As far as codecs are concerned AME has the necessary quicktime codecs available, regardless of platform. At least this is what i assume..

Edit:
Ah yes, i see that only DV NTSC settings are available within quicktime settings, therefore pumping out a fixed bitrate of 13gig/hr, regardless of codec.

Nevertheless, i think i'll shoot for Mpeg2..
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 09:53 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Just encode the tapes as regular DVDs and let them figure how to get an editable DV codec out of it using MPEGStreamclip.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 10:28 PM   #5
Trustee

HDV is already MPEG-2, so the simplest route is hand down native files as shot. Re-encoding MPEG-2 to MPEG-2 for DVD is not a good idea, especially when the editor will have to do another transcode down the line.

To avoid QT, render as DV NTSC - it'll be at least easier to edit.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite