Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 11th, 2005, 08:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sync issue between M-audio speakers and Decklink

Hi!

I've set up a FCP HD system as follows:

- the video goes through a Blackmagic Deckling Pro card to a JVC professional monitor

- the audio goes through an M-Box connected through USB to my G5 to 2 m-audio bx8 speakers

I am noticing a very apparent sync issue between my video and audio. I think it's the video that takes just a tiny bit longer to go through to my monitor.

Any ideas? I could connect my speakers directly to my Decklink Pro card (it has audio outputs). Would that eliminate the sync issue?

Thanks for any ideas.
Bogdan Apetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2005, 09:45 PM   #2
Major Player

I bet running sound from the Decklink would fix it. This same things happens in FCP if you try to watch external video over firewire and monitor audio through the built-in sound card on the Mac. Running the audio from the same source as the video has always eliminated the sync issue for me.
Zach Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2005, 10:14 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Zach.

I was just wondering about the quality of the Decklink card (primarily built for video) as compared to the M-Box (built for audio). Soundwise, of course.

Also, if I go through Decklink, I would lose sync between audio and the main computer screen, on the other hand - as opposed to the JVC monitor.

I guess you always win something, lose something.
Bogdan Apetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2005, 01:04 AM   #4
Major Player

Hmm, that is a valid concern. What type of audio outputs does the Decklink card have? What do you use when you print to tape through the Decklink? I just looked at the Blackmagic website and saw that at least some of the cards have AES outputs. Is it possible to route that to the S/PDIF in on the Mbox and monitor that way? I wish I knew this already - my Mbox is coming by UPS tomorrow afternoon. It seems a little odd to go out of a card and into the USB device to go out again to the monitors, but I have to assume that using AES and S/PDIF is lossless since they're digital. But I bet if there's an output that you could route directly to your monitors, that would be best. Of course, I am about one step above clueless when it comes to audio. Maybe you should post in Now Hear This and see what the pros say.
Zach Mull is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite