DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   OS 10.7 w/FCP 7.0.3? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/511028-os-10-7-w-fcp-7-0-3-a.html)

Paul Cronin September 28th, 2012 02:35 PM

OS 10.7 w/FCP 7.0.3?

I have to upgrade my OS from 10.5.8 to 10.7 to run Aperture 3 with Canon RAW for 5D MKIII. The computer is my main edit Mac Pro with Final Cut Pro 7.0.3 and I want to make sure this is compatible?

Anyone have this OS 10.7 with FCP 7.0.3?

Dave Farrants September 28th, 2012 02:41 PM

Re: OS 10.7 w/FCP 7.0.3?

No problems whatsoever, been running 10.7 with FCP7 since it first came out, but the real advice would be to do a full clean install of OS 10.7 and FCP7 and if possible, make a clone of your current setup on a separate drive first, when you're happy with the new system, clone that and keep it 'on the shelf' just in case.

Paul Cronin September 28th, 2012 02:49 PM

Great new thank you Dave.

Now if I only knew how to clone my system? I have loads of spare external FW800 drives.

Dave Farrants September 28th, 2012 02:50 PM

Foxvideo Productions: Carbon Copy Cloner no longer free

Paul Cronin September 28th, 2012 03:02 PM

Cool I will look into it further. This could be a great thing to do monthly or when adding software.

Is this what you use?

Dave Farrants September 28th, 2012 03:09 PM

Yes, I used the free version of SuperDuper but did then pay for the upgrade. CarbonCopyCloner is still the best known, it just goes against the grain to buy it after being free for as long as I can remember!

With a working FCP system as my source of income I can't afford for it to go down, if anything happens either from installing a new program or plugin I can be back up and running from a recent clone drive in the time it takes to make and drink a coffee.

Paul Cronin September 28th, 2012 03:14 PM

Excellent Dave,

FCP is a major part of my business so this will be a great investment.

Thank you for the great lead.

This should be a sticky!

Paul Cronin September 29th, 2012 09:06 AM

Dave the clone could not have been easier.

Now the problem is I read I have to upgrade from 10.5.8 to 10.6 then to 10.7? And all the Apple site wants you to do is upgrade to Mountain Lion.

So is it worth it to go to Mountain Lion and FCP X? I used Live Type a lot and hear that is gone if I do this upgrade.

All this to used RAW files from my 5D MKIII which is a must, UGH.

Dave Farrants September 29th, 2012 09:22 AM

Ah, now I see a problem!

I went from 10.6 and FCP6 to 10.7 and FCP7, I had 2 boot drives in my MacPro and used the App Store to install 10.7 to a 'clean' drive, I then installed FCP7 and used my FCP6 serial for the upgrade. I then had to find a way to install LiveType as I had older projects that used LT titles that needed updating, there's a piece on my blog about getting LT to work with FCP7.

I'd assumed you'd already got a copy of 10.7 ready to install, although Apple are still updating it to 10.7.5 it's now no longer available on the App Store, which means you'll need to get a copy of 10.6 (eBay) to get access to the App Store, then you'll need to install 10.8 (Mountain Lion). There are reports FCP7 is OK with ML (including using my 'fix' to get LT to work) but I'm staying with 10.7.

FCPX is a whole new ball game I'm not willing to take at the moment (another few pieces of mine on my blog about this!), IMO it's fine for shorter programs but I wouldn't want to use it for anything longer at the moment.

I think you've got some serious thinking to do....!

Paul Cronin September 29th, 2012 09:32 AM

Dave you are great for getting back to me.

I have no problem using LiveType on FCP 7.0.3, everything is very stable and my RAID loves it.

Will go to your blog read and make my decision today since I need to keep editing and get RAW stills in the video.

So far I have not purchased any software for the upgrade except CarbonCopyCloner which is a smart business move.

Interesting input on FCPX. I do videos from 1 min to 90 min and do not want to be limited by timeframe. I do like X color correction that I checked out on a friends system but that is no reason to upgrade.

Dave Farrants September 29th, 2012 09:43 AM

Paul, there's been thousands of words written about the FCP / FCPX debate, I don't need to go there!

In my situation, I've been using FCP since v2.0.1 (in 2001), I'm happy with my workflow and I suppose it's got to the stage where I'm comfortable in my 'old pair of slippers" and don't want to change! Many FCP users have migrated away to Adobe Premiere as it's more like they thought FCP X was going to be, and who were disappointed with the actual FCP X program. I also have many older projects that need updating on a regular basis, although there are conversion programs now for 7 to X I'm going to stay with 7 until I really do need to change, I'm sure X will get there in time......just not yet!

Paul Cronin September 29th, 2012 10:40 AM

Thanks all makes sense, I will have to decide and it now looks like I will wait till the week of the 8th.

Got the email on the link thanks.

Paul Cronin September 29th, 2012 10:56 AM

Did not take much research and reading to know I do not want to upgrade to Final Cut Pro X. I will stay with 7.0.3 and just do my OS updates from 10.6 then 10.7 and be able to use Canon RAW for the MKIII.

Dave Farrants September 29th, 2012 11:19 AM

Sounds like a good plan....!

Paul Cronin September 29th, 2012 11:25 AM

Yup, why make it more difficult then it has to be. I am in this as business and need to be smart about upgrades.

Shame I can't buy 10.6 as a download. I learned once you have 10.6 you can use the itunes store and buy 10.7. Oh well I will wait on snail mail and get it done when it arrives.

Thanks Dave you have been a great help.

We are very lucky to have DVinfo.net as a great source of info. There are so many forums and I find this the best for our work by far.
Thanks
Chris and all of your helpers, I look forward to meeting you at NAB after all these years.