Re-Importing image sequence to FCP looks awefull at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 15th, 2005, 06:15 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Re-Importing image sequence to FCP looks awefull

I captured some footage from DigitalBeta as DVCPro50 compression. I edited the video, and everything looks fine so far.
I wanna edit some frames in photoshop (to remove unwanted obsticles), so I exported some video as image sequence. When I re-import the photos to FCPHD 4.5 (without even touching the photos in photoshop), and put them on a sequence (each photo is 00:00:01 long), and play the sequence, I get very bad strob effect. I tried all types of photos (JPG, BMP, TIFF...etc), but no use.

I tried searching the forum, and ran thru some issue about "rendering as Frame Vs Field". is that the issue? If yes, can someone please give me some hints on how to do it.

I'd appreciate your help.
Nawaf Alali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 12:39 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaf Alali
I captured some footage from DigitalBeta as DVCPro50 compression. I edited the video, and everything looks fine so far.
I wanna edit some frames in photoshop (to remove unwanted obsticles), so I exported some video as image sequence. When I re-import the photos to FCPHD 4.5 (without even touching the photos in photoshop), and put them on a sequence (each photo is 00:00:01 long), and play the sequence, I get very bad strob effect. I tried all types of photos (JPG, BMP, TIFF...etc), but no use.

I tried searching the forum, and ran thru some issue about "rendering as Frame Vs Field". is that the issue? If yes, can someone please give me some hints on how to do it.

I'd appreciate your help.
Hi Nawaf,

Have no personal experience editing on FCP just yet, but I am reading an excellent tutorial book which has some advice. However it may or not help you depending on whether you are shooting in PAL or NTSC.

"The NTSC standard runs at 29.97 frames per second. When timecode is running with video at this rate, it can't represent every frame and keep it's numbering system to whole numbers. Therefore, the timecode actually skips a frame number every now and then to keep it in sync."........
"Drop Frame timecode is a normal process by which NTSC timecode keeps up with 29.97 frame drop. Dropping frames, which can occur during playback or while capturing, is when random frames disappear and cause the image to STUTTER. This is a problem that is usually caused by insufficient memory."

Hope this helps. Let us know.

Steph
Stephanie Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 04:02 AM   #3
Regular Crew

well, I'm editing in PAL, but I don't think thats the problem.

The video looks fine on the production monitor. I exported it as seperate frames. Then Re-imported the frames and put them in sequence. They should play fine, coz nothing was touched. But for some weird reason, i'm getting a strob effect, as if there are missing frames in the middle.

I'm trying different settings, but no success yet. I hope someone on this forum had experience with this problem
Nawaf Alali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 07:24 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Maybe you're dropping frames because your hard drives can't keep up? Images can be much bigger than uncompressed 4:2:2 codecs or DVCPRO50.

You could check by converting the image sequence to use the DVCPRO50 codec.

2- I don't think dropping frames has anything to do with drop-frame/non-drop-frame timecode. Don't confuse the two.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite