Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 27th, 2013, 08:15 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Importing into Final Cut 7 from Vegas

Hi guys,

I had posted this same question in the Vegas file, but I think this may be the better place for it.

I'm trying to export some files from Vegas 12 to FCP 7 so a friend can help with some editing. This is the first time I have done this and I haven't been able to find a tutorial anywhere.

I have performed File > Export > FCP 7 within Vegas. Once completed Vegas produces a .xml file and a log file.

How do I import these into FCP 7?

Do I have to copy all of the original source files (.mts) and sony vegas (.sfk) along with the .xml file to the other system?

Thanks,
Richard
Richard Tetik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2013, 05:00 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Importing into Final Cut 7 from Vegas

If your friend is helping with something that was previously edited in Vegas then your friend will need the xml file and all the referenced video files. Now the difficulty here is that the mts files probably will not work in FCP7 and will need to be transcoded before your friend can work with them. Programs like the free MPEGStreamclip can do this file by file or the pay program, ClipWrap can transcode by batch. Then the files will have to be relinked in FCP7.

If no editing has been done with the video files yet, just send the files to your friend.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite