What do I need in order to hook up an external monitor? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 20th, 2005, 03:24 PM   #1
New Boot

What do I need in order to hook up an external monitor?

I bought the Dual G5 2.3GHz system and Final Cut Pro Studio. Up until now I was content to only use my monitor as my primary work space. But now that I am learning more and need to see what my editing will look like, I want to add a second monitor and a tv monitor. I can add the computer monitor, but I am unsure how to add a video monitor. I currently have a smal tv monitor that accepts RCA or coaxial. Does my system support connecting to a tv monitor off the shelf or do I need to add some kind of cardfor my computer or special video monitor? Any help you can give in this area would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Todd
Todd Coffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 03:36 PM   #2
Major Player

Todd just connect:Firewire out of your G5 to your camera or deck, then RCA out from your camera or deck to your t.v. If you're using a camera make sure it is in VCR or Playback mode.
Old September 21st, 2005, 11:08 PM   #3
New Boot

I think I got it

I have done what you suggested Nate, and it works but only if I hit Print to video. I was hoping I could see real time playback while I edit, but perhaps I have unreal expectations.
Todd Coffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2005, 11:32 PM   #4
Regular Crew

If your video card doesn't have TV-out, perhaps this will do:

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/...pno~175595.asp
Thoughts & Philosophies: http://jkohli.blogspot.com

"The most important thing is to enjoy life, to be happy, that's all that matters." --Audrey Hepburn
Justin Kohli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2005, 12:19 AM   #5
Major Player

Todd, that is a totally reasonable expectation. If FCP is not sending video over firewire when your camera/deck is hooked up then make sure that external video is on (you can toggle it with CMD+F12 or access it in the View menu). If FCP won't let you turn external video on then make sure the camera/deck is powered up and attached and try the Refresh A/V Devices command. It's in the same submenu. You can also do this from the A/V Options dialog. If that doesn't work then check the System Profiler and make sure that Mac OS can see your camera. If it can't then visit the Apple forums for good help on fixing device control issues with QuickTime 7 (I assume your new system came with Tiger).
Zach Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2005, 01:47 PM   #6
New Boot

That did it!

That is what I needed to do Zach. I tried to just do the Command+F12 and that didn't work. But...after I hit refresh A/V Devices, it worked perfectly.
Thanks a bunch.

Todd Coffman
Todd Coffman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite