DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   My mac won,t see some AVCHD clips (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/514611-my-mac-won-t-see-some-avchd-clips.html)

Neville Hayes February 26th, 2013 08:06 PM

My mac won,t see some AVCHD clips

Hi all i have a problem which no one can help with so as it relates to mac i thought i'd try here. The problem is my mac won't see clips filmed with my Sony FS700 video camera AVCHD format when i film timelapse or when i tried 50p, everything else is fine. They just don't show up when i open import clips with FCPX or iMovie which tells me it's a mac issue seeing these clips. My mac is reasonably geared so i don't think that's the issue but here's it's specs 2 by 2.8 GHz Quad -Core Intel Xeon, Memory 14 GB 800MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB, Software OS X 10.8.2 (12C60)

Thanks your help will be appreciated, Neville Hayes

Shaun Roemich February 26th, 2013 09:38 PM

Re: My mac won,t see some AVCHD clips

Final Cut Pro 6 & 7(not X) don't work with 1080 50/60P footage.

William Hohauser February 26th, 2013 11:08 PM

Try converting with ClipWrap or MPEGStreamclip.

Neville Hayes February 27th, 2013 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich (Post 1781307)
Final Cut Pro 6 & 7(not X) don't work with 1080 50/60P footage.

Are you saying that FCPX won;t work with 1080 50/60 P Shaun?

Neville Hayes February 27th, 2013 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Hohauser (Post 1781320)
Try converting with ClipWrap or MPEGStreamclip.

William it's not a conversion problem as the clips need to be seen before being imported and then maybe converted but not in this case.

William Hohauser February 27th, 2013 07:35 AM

What version of OS are you on? The most recent version prevents me from accessing the contents of the SD cards from my GH3 and GH2 cameras even though FCPX will see the contents for import. On the desktop I do see a file on the Sd card but it is locked. However you can get around this by right clicking and picking Show Package Contents from the contextual menu. I have to do this a few times to get to my GH camera files if I want to use ClipWrap instead of using FCPX to import.

I would venture to say that if the files are truly invisible to the desktop then something is odd with the files as recorded by the camera or the card you are using is experiencing directory corruption. There is no such thing as a file the Mac can't see unless there is encryption specifically put into it. This is not very likely in your case. Are you connecting the camera directly to the computer, can it do this?

Arnie Schlissel February 27th, 2013 02:17 PM

FCP "classic" works with common broadcast formats. 1080p60 and 1080p50 are not broadcast formats.

Shaun Roemich February 27th, 2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neville Hayes (Post 1781341)
Are you saying that FCPX won;t work with 1080 50/60 P Shaun?

Don't know anything about FCPX - you posted in the Final Cut Pro Suite sub-forum so I answered what I knew... that FCP6 & 7 don't work with 1080P50/60 but I couldn't speak for X.

Hope that helps...

William Hohauser February 27th, 2013 10:31 PM

Working with 1080 60p right now in FCPX. Works great, huge file exports although.

Neville Hayes February 28th, 2013 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Hohauser (Post 1781380)
What version of OS are you on? The most recent version prevents me from accessing the contents of the SD cards from my GH3 and GH2 cameras even though FCPX will see the contents for import. On the desktop I do see a file on the Sd card but it is locked. However you can get around this by right clicking and picking Show Package Contents from the contextual menu. I have to do this a few times to get to my GH camera files if I want to use ClipWrap instead of using FCPX to import.

I would venture to say that if the files are truly invisible to the desktop then something is odd with the files as recorded by the camera or the card you are using is experiencing directory corruption. There is no such thing as a file the Mac can't see unless there is encryption specifically put into it. This is not very likely in your case. Are you connecting the camera directly to the computer, can it do this?

Hi William thanks for your s and others help here.First answer i'm using 10.8.2 I filmed the shots onto a SD card but also onto the FS700 Sony cameras Hard drive and seen the clips don't show up on either i stand to believe that it's not the card or the Hard drive. I hook up the camera's hard drive via a mini HDMI to USB line and the SD card i put into a card reader that is connected via the same. Interestingly it's only when i film in time lapse that this happens.

William Hohauser February 28th, 2013 07:51 AM

Is there a process where the Sony camera "closes" the time lapse file? The only reason the file would not appear to your Mac is if the Sony camera has not entered the correct directory information to the file yet. This would be similar to looking at a disc from a DVD recorder that hasn't been finalized yet. The computer would not recognized that there is data on the disc. Finalize the disc in the recorder and suddenly everything is there.