Two partitioned drive questions: can i mount both at once AND do i need extra space? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 23rd, 2013, 09:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Two partitioned drive questions: can i mount both at once AND do i need extra space?

So, I have a 6tb drive I got for film editing with FCP7. I have two questions before I partition and fill it up:

1 - I am using the drive for a film project I already started with two other drives. What I want to do is partition the new drive into 3, using two of the partitions to duplicate the drives I already have. This way I don't need to reattach all the files when I use the new drive. This makes sense if I can mount multiple partitions at the same time from the same drive? Can I do that? I assume so. But reading online i haven't found conformation.

2 - I know the rule of thumb is to keep 10% of a hard drive free. If I partition the drive, do I need to keep 10% of each partition free or is 10% overall OK?
Noam Osband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2013, 10:30 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Two partitioned drive questions: can i mount both at once AND do i need extra spa

I see no reason to partition. Relinking the media in FCP is super simple, as long as the only thing that changes is the drive name. If the rest of the folder structure is intact, then it should be a matter of seconds to reconnect the media.

To answer the question, yes you can absolutely mount multiple partitions at the same time.

10% of the whole disk would equal 10% of each partition, so this question is really moot.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2013, 10:34 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: Two partitioned drive questions: can i mount both at once AND do i need extra spa

The thing is that the media is on two drives and now I'm putting it on one. So, I could give the new drive one of the names of one of the older drives, but that still means half the media is disconnected.

as for free space, the older drives were both 2tb drives that i had come dangerously close to filling up. id like to keep all the data on them and not delete stuff when i copy them to the new drive. so, their partitions might still be close to full, but the overall drive will have tons of free space. would that be fine?
Old May 23rd, 2013, 10:40 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noam Osband View Post
The thing is that the media is on two drives and now I'm putting it on one. So, I could give the new drive one of the names of one of the older drives, but that still means half the media is disconnected.
I think you're just overcomplicating things. Just put all the media on one partition and reconnect the media as needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noam Osband View Post
as for free space, the older drives were both 2tb drives that i had come dangerously close to filling up. id like to keep all the data on them and not delete stuff when i copy them to the new drive. so, their partitions might still be close to full, but the overall drive will have tons of free space. would that be fine?
The 10% threshold is due to the physical mechanics of a drive. Partitions don't split your disk up into smaller disks, you still only have one drive.

As I said, a 10% threshold on several partitions will equal 10% of the whole drive. Imagine you take 100 GB and split it up into 4 equal, 25 GB partitions. 10% of each of those partitions is 2.5 GB. Multiply that by 4 and you have 10 GB. 10% of your original 100 GB is also 10 GB, so either way you measure it, you have 10% of your drive free.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2013, 10:42 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I agree it's slightly complicated.....but there are two of us working on this project. I want us to be able to each work on the project separately. So, I need a solution where one of us has the two older 2TB drives and one of us uses the 6tb drive.

that said...thanks for answering my question thoroughly and rapidly. this forum is the best.
Old May 30th, 2013, 07:52 AM   #6
Trustee

Noam,
I the past when I have consolidated projects from separate drives onto a larger one I just named folders with the smaller drives names plus a modifier like copy or Back up but kept the larger drive without partitions. Large Drive name with folder called Drive 1 Copy, folder Drive 2 Copy etc so it is relatively easy to reconnect the media. Trickier issue is usually renders and if you add media to the project afterwards. You really have to think about what files you added to the project when.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite