DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 25th, 2005, 09:16 AM   #1
New Boot

iMac, eMac, or PowerMac??

Hi guys. I just need some advise here. I've decided to buy a G5 and run FCP5 instead of Avid and a PC. With that said, I know nothing when it comes to Apple computers. What is the advantages/disadvantages to these computers? Does it just come down to PowerMac is expandible and the others aren't? (or are they?) Will they all do the same thing and it just comes down to the amount of room and money you have for a computer? What's the deal? Help out a newbie before he buys the wrong thing.Thanks.
Anthony Cothron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2005, 09:48 AM   #2
Regular Crew

You'll get some varied opinions on this, but the bottom line is it depends on how "serious" you are about video editing.

If you're a hobbyist cutting and editing home videos from a handheld camcorder or whatnot, an iMac or eMac should suffice, although in that case I'd go with the more powerful of the 2, the iMac.

If you're more serious and are going to do movie-making or anything more extensive than home video editing ala iMovie, which I would guess you are (you did say FCP) - definitely go PowerMac. An iMac very well could be fine though, but there is something to consider in either of these 2 cases with the iMac and the eMac. If something goes wrong, you have to bring the entire machine in for a repair, even if it's something minor. With a full desktop you just bring in the particular part.

At least, that is what I imagine you would do. I don't see why Apple or an Apple dealer would require the complete setup for say a hard-drive replacement (unless you wanted full diagnosis of your machine maybe).

That is about the only reason I personally wouldn't get an iMac for any reason. But besides that, the PowerMac is quite more robust and another important factor is upgradability.
Thoughts & Philosophies: http://jkohli.blogspot.com

"The most important thing is to enjoy life, to be happy, that's all that matters." --Audrey Hepburn
Justin Kohli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2005, 06:59 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks Boyd. That really helped me make my decision.
Anthony Cothron is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite