How do I apply sharpen to all clips? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 28th, 2013, 07:03 AM   #1
Trustee

How do I apply sharpen to all clips?

I am exporting out DVCPRO50 SD clips on my FCP7 timeline to HDV 720, and I want to apply a sharpen or unsharpen mask to the entire export. I have been told by my station editors that I must select each clip one at a time, and add a separate filter to each one, and that I cannot select multiple clips or the entire sequence at once for this.

Is this true? Everything I export is in SD and goes out as HD, so sharpening it up a bit makes a huge difference. Any help, step by step, would be greatly appreciated, as I am new to Mapple. :)

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2013, 09:49 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: How do I apply sharpen to all clips?

Providing your sharpness setting is the same for every clip - 'Nest' your final sequence then add the sharpen filter (or unsharp mask) to the nested seq (drag and drop from the viewer to the TL). If you need to make a change to the filter settings across the entire TL, right click on the nested sequence and "open in viewer", in the filters tab will be the sharpen (unsharp mask) filter.

It's not true, You can select multiple clips or the entire TL and add a filter all the clips in the timeline at once if you prefer to do it that way.

If each clip needs different sharpen settings you'll need to add it one clip at a time.
Old July 28th, 2013, 04:36 PM   #3
Trustee

Thank you Dave, your a life saver. :)

Just to make sure I know how this works, I create a second sequence with the filter already in place, and drag or copy and paste my entire P2 clips sequence into it?

For uprezing 480p to 720p, which filter do you think would work best?

Paul
Old July 28th, 2013, 11:16 PM   #4
Major Player

As with most things in FCP there are several ways of doing the same thing. In an active timeline, Apple+A selects all > Sequence Menu > 'Nest Items' will create a new sequence with all your clips in one continuous item.

You could drag the filter direct to that clip but it would apply the filters default settings, if you drag the filter to the Viewer you can modify it's settings THEN drag it onto the nested item. If you then want to modify the settings (more or less sharpening) you'll need to right click on the nested item > Open in viewer > Filters tab to change settings.

TBH, only you and your station editor can decide what filter looks best, for some stuff I use a touch of sharpening, for other stuff I use the unsharp mask - whichever you think looks best BUT you really need to see the output on a proper monitor via an AJA / BM card or a Matrox MX and NOT the Canvas in FCP on the Mac screen, to see the actual effect of sharpening, if this output is going to broadcast.
Old July 29th, 2013, 02:01 AM   #5
Trustee

I am so happy to learn about the nest thingy........I created a sequence called DEFAULT SHARPENING, and another called WHITE BALANCE ADJUSTMENT. Copying the Sequence 1 timeline clips and pasting them into the new sequences I made seems to work fine. I saved the template so I can just copy and past all future exports with the same settings......once I figure out the best ones.

The video is for daily broadcast, and I have to wait for the video to actually air to see how it looks. Every Mac I have access to is horrible at playing back video, it always looks grainy and awful. My Macbook has a DisplayPort output, and I have an HDMI adapter, so maybe I will hook it up to my HDTV to see how it looks.

Thanks again for all your help. :)

Paul
Old August 6th, 2013, 07:26 AM   #6
Major Player

Or, apply the filters to one clip in the timeline, copy that clip, then select all target clips and "Paste Attributes," selecting the appropriate attributes.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite